Vinyl wrap entire shell

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tejonmelero
    Participant

My neighbor came by today and brought up the idea of vinyl wrapping the teardrop camper. While I do like the wood grain I wondered if anyone has done this to their camper? It could look pretty unique if there was a nice design. It seems to provide UV protection and you could always take it off.  What do you all think? Has anyone done it?

friz
    Participant

I don’t see why not. I have been accused of having vinyl woodgrain stickers on mine because wood just doesn’t bend like that.

Dan
    Participant

I have also been interested in this… I wonder how the adhesive for the vinyl would interact with the epoxy or varnish.

western_flyer
    Participant

Vinyl PVC is made soft with volatile plasticizers. Over time especially when exposed to heat and sun they will off gas and can effect surfaces that are in contact. My recommendation (decades in the recreational and industrial fabric trades) is to give it a good long test of a month or more in the summer Sun and see the results. My guess is epoxy will not be harmed. Varnish, which can have its own off gassing, could be problematic.  A second consideration is how well does the PVC filter out the Sun’s UV rays.

I am mounting a diamond  plate tongue box on the trailer and found some fake diamond plate PVC film that I thought would  both add some nice design and protection to the exposed lower front end of the TD.  I’ve changed my design motif and abandoned the film idea but it is interesting.  If you decide to wrap your TD or just do a few tests please post the results.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.