Boarding Steps for Camper with ICC and Trailex

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Boarding Steps for Camper with ICC and Trailex

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    pandron
    Participant

Okay, second third attempt at posting this.  Maybe I had too many big pictures or something.  I’ll try to post this without pictures and upload pictures in a reply.

I designed and built these boarding steps to make it easier to climb into the camper when it’s on a Trailex trailer and the ICC.  For a little while I had a couple of industrial steel folding steps that worked fine, but were ugly.  I’m extremely happy with the outcome of these new ones though!  They’re deep so the dogs can use them easily and they make a great sit-spot for putting on shoes.

I used Autodesk Fusion to design them and then cut them out of 2 sheets of 2’x4′ x 12mm ply from CLC using my CNC router.  Before cutting I coated both sides of the ply with 6oz fiberglass to give them a little more strength.  Happy to share files if anyone is interested.

The bracket is mounted to the channels in the Trailex trailer with a few t-bolts that I ordered from Trailex.  Then the step stows with a piece of leftover rod from the door hardware bent into a long c-shape that you feed through a series of slots in the bracket and the step.  Locks into place for highway driving, but takes about 5 seconds to deploy the steps!

Anyway, here are some photos (hopefully in reply posts) of the build process.

Enjoy!

-Paul

pandron
    Participant

pandron
    Participant

pandron
    Participant

Bracket assembly reenforced with fiberglass around edges

pandron
    Participant

Fully assembled, lots of sanding and varnish later…

pandron
    Participant

Scary stress test, but it passed!  I weigh about 160 lbs.

pandron
    Participant

Added some foam raptor deck stuff (cheap stuff sourced from Amazon).  Also cut out on my CNC router.

pandron
    Participant

Mounted in the stowed position for highway travel.

pandron
    Participant

Deployed position.

pandron
    Participant

View inside the bracket.  Mounts using Trailex’s T-bolts to the trailer slot.

pandron
    Participant

Voila! Sunset on the beach.

Sandman408
    Participant

Cool idea for steps! I’ve been thinking (planning ahead) of steps when mine is done. And I’m loving your cnc table too!!!

fischautotechgarten
    Participant

That is genius…. Thank you for sharing!  I imagine a bit of beefing up of the aluminum might be requred to get that setup to work with the popular Northern Tool Ultra-Tow 5×8 aluminium trailer.

fischautotechgarten
    Participant

I would love to see those AutoCAD fushion plans those steps! fischautotechgarten at gmail dot com

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.