This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  stretchMike 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

stretchMike
    Participant

Greetings to all and thanks to previous posters for their many useful comments.

I am building from plans with a twist: I am adding a 2ft stretch between molds 4 & 5. I figure they do it with planes and around here (British Columbia) ferries – so why not a teardrop?

The main reason is that I want under counter storage in the galley sufficient to hold a pull out 12v fridge, together with drawers and water containers for sink. Inside the cabin the stretch will give me room for cabinets and a little more room to move. The dimensions of the stretched shell will be 5×10 which is a common size for traditional or commercial teardrops.

First job was to mock it up to assess new proportions and to check where cut and stretch would go. Then laying out full size plans for panels, pasting in a 2ft sheet of paper and adjusting curves to incorporate stretch. No CAD here, so resorted to “flexible stick” drafting.

Next, I added an additional mold between 4 & 5 to support the stretched section. I also beefed up the mold a bit on account of the increased size.

Now on to shell construction.

Helibuff
    Participant

Wow That is cool ! Great idea

rovineye
    Participant

When we do it on a ship after construction it is called jumboization.

jschalsk
    Participant

I am impressed with your design.

stretchMike
    Participant

After some fiddling with the block plane stretched shell now completed.

My modified plans include under counter storage, so transom becomes part of hatch. When I glass the shell my cloth will be carried over from hatch to transom in 1 continuous piece so I needed a more rounded profile on the transition piece. I chose to use a nice piece of solid Honduras Mahogany, fileted to accept leading edges of hatch and transom. Joint is then reinforced with tape and epoxy.

Transition pieces still to be shaped and sanded.

Hatch opening above quarter panels requires cutting mahogany transition piece in 1/2, angled down for drainage.

Next to galley and counter design: decided on Baltic Birch cabinets for contrast and laminate top for durability. Here are counter and dividers dry fitted (dadoes) and set up with Dometic 12V fridge and sink/burner combo.

Now on to installation of counter, lower bulkhead and dividers into shell, then on to floor.

faithie999
    Participant

fantastic!!

if you bought the kit from CLC, there may not be enough fiberglass cloth for your stretched TD.  maybe  you can order some from somewhere that will let you return it if you don’t need it but might be nice to have on hand so you don’t have to stop glassing to wait for more to arrive.

stretchMike
    Participant

Thanks Faithee, but I am a plans builder: too many mods to start with a kit.

stretchMike
    Participant

My next mod with my teardrop has been to add underfloor storage. The forward portion is accessed from under the bed via two hatches. The back section is accessed from outside and is intended to store camp chairs, portable solar panels etc. Depth is 8″ and storage box is built from same 3/4″ ply as floor. Luckily I was able to find 5 x 10′ panels from World Panel Products in Florida. Ideal for my stretched 5 x 10′ teardrop and avoids scarfs, but blocks etc.

Here is floor with hatches cut, also dadoes for galley cabinet dividers. I have applied one coat of epoxy leaving bare wood for fillets.

Next the underside with walls and central spline attached.

Now flipped and floor attached – and the big reveal.

Because my version has a full ceiling to floor bulkhead I had to access the inside through one of the floor hatches.

Now on to a lot of sanding.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.