How Much Paint Varnish Needed

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum How Much Paint Varnish Needed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MIKEinMT
    Participant

I’m trying to get a handle on how much paint & varnish I should order and take advantage of labor day sale at CLC.  My plan is to paint bottom with Interlux Precoat (1 coat) and Interlux Brightsides Paint (3 coats) then up to 6 coats of Interlux Schooner Gloss Varnish.  From my calculations on camper square footage and Interlux docs on coverage it looks like I need:

1.  Precoat – 2 quarts

2.  Brightside Paint – 3 quarts

3.  Varnish of rest of exterior – 8 quarts

Can someone who’s done this before let me know if these estimates sound about right?  thanks

teardropkevin
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Great question and one I will also need an answer to eventually….</p>

MIKEinMT
    Participant

Ok – I just talked to CLC…Depends on how you apply paint / varnish…but an estimate using rolling-tipping technique –

1.  Bottom  Precoat (1 coat)                               – 1 quart ….I’m ordering 2 to be sure

2.  Bottom Brightsides (2 heavy coats)           – 1 quart…I’m ordering 2 to be sure

3.  Exterior (3 + coats)                                        – 3 quarts….I’m ordering 4 to be sure

mj

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

Don’t forget to varnish or paint the interior

CWStevens
    Participant

We’re also using the Interlux Schooner Gloss Varnish…  We’ve been averaging 2 coats per quart.  A coat includes exterior shell (1, 2, 3, and 4 panels and transom), galley, exterior doors, and exterior hatch.  (The bottom has truck liner paint, from the CLC class.)  Usually, there a skosh left – enough to hit parts of the galley insert.

It’s been very hot here in Maryland (usually 85+), so we’ve thinned it a bit more than most.  Using the “cups”, we’ve been doing 8 parts varnish, 1 part Penetrol, 1 part mineral spirits.  This lays *very* nicely with very few runs and with (what seems like) extended work time of the varnish.

indianaterri
    Participant

I’m finding the varnish goes a long way.  It seems the first coat gets soaked up easily with the freshly sanded epoxy surface…1 quart seemed to cover the exterior plus a little extra (part of the interior.)

And subsequent coats have been a little less thirsty…covered entirely, 1 quart, with a little extra left over.

I’ve had a problem with gelling varnish, so I’m trying to use one quart in one session.  One quart seems to get everything varnished I need to get varnished with a little leftover.  I’m not going to count on the little leftover though.

CWStevens
    Participant
    Dan
    Participant

I called CLC and they said about one coat per quart. So I ordered 3 quarts for the exterior and two for the interior… except I’m using Total Boat Gleam 2.0 gloss instead of whatever CLC recommends.

I just put on the second coat today and judging by my usage so far it appears I’ll be able to get 8-10 coats from this first quart.

Maybe I’ll varnish my house with the remainder. 🙄

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

Serously Dan? Sounds like Total Boat Gleam goes on very thin. I used the recommended Schooner Varnish. Rolled and tipped my first coat which took almost a whole quart. I did have a few extra custom parts though and I was able to hit the bulkhead and shelf. The first coat seemed a bit heavy so the second coat I decided to spray it on, that used only half the can. I preferred spraying as apposed to roll and tip because it went on in a fraction of the time looks just a good if not better and was able to get those hard to reach areas in the galley and door sils.

A side note I agree with CWStevens the Stop-Loss bags are a must have.

Dan
    Participant

It does go on very thin. However I think I actually put the first two coats on way too thin. I finished the third coat last night and used more than the first two combined but I’ve still got a third of the quart left.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.