Doors Don't Quite Fit…Help!

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Doors Don't Quite Fit…Help!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wcammack
    Participant

Hey guys,

I finally got the doors on my rig but they’re not quite right. I tried to correct the curve with the nylon strap on the inside of the door, but the fit still isn’t quite right. What I can’t figure out is why the latch inside the door that locks it shut against the door frame (the metal bit under the inside door handle) can’t clear the frame itself. Instead when you try to fully shut the door the latch jams against the inside of the door frame, which inhibits the door from fully closing. The only solution I could think of is to shave a little off the door frame where the latch is supposed to swing over it. I’ve attached some images so people can get an idea of what I’m talking about, would love some thoughts.

wcammack
    Participant

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by wcammack.
    wcammack
    Participant

wcammack
    Participant

wcammack
    Participant

wcammack
    Participant

mpilone
    Participant

I’m traveling so I don’t have access to my camper but I seem to remember turning the latch bar around the opposite way which gave a little more clearance from the door to the frame. If you have enough threaded rod, you can also put a nut behind the latch bar to pull it out from the door to also give a little more clearance.

I would definitely suggest playing with different configurations on the latch bar before shaving the frame. There should be a way to get it to work.

-mike

rovineye
    Participant

Hi wcammac,

You need to back off the nut at the handle and the same with the nut against the door, to bring the latch mechanism out from the frame. If that doesn’t make sense, shout out again.

Dan
    Participant

Love the teal and black pinstriping! More pics?

wcammack
    Participant

Thanks guys! That’ll be the first thing I’ll try in the morning, appreciate the help. Fells good to be nearing the end of the project.

Here are a few more pictures:

The bottom line is made out of birch bark I found around the build site. Also the “wing it” side of me decided to cover the entire interior in birch bark as well…very rustic looking but I’m very happy with it. Hard to not notice all the little imperfections but once you step back to take it in it’s pretty sweet.

wcammack
    Participant

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.