August 13, 2017 at 8:14 pm #1192
I wanted a place in the cabin to keep a few things handy and not clutter up the sleeping area. I toyed with the idea of cutting two holes in the bulkhead and procuring some cabinet from galley area above the left and right cabinet area that is sort of wasted anyway but decided against it and got more room without cramping the cabin interior or taking valuable galley space. It took at least 3 full size mock ups before I made the cabinet out of wood. I had saved all the large cardboard pieces from the teardrop packing and did some stitch and ca glue for fast construction of my prototypes. I kept the cabinet curved to match the shelf curve and even steam bent the storage openings frames. The finished cabinet fits flush to the insulated ceiling and sides and bolts to the bulkhead. I lined the bottom with some scrap carpet to hinder sliding around. I think a mentioned this when it was under construction a while back, this is it finally installed.August 14, 2017 at 9:38 am #1194
That looks really nice! CLC should work with you to make a kit version. I’m npot sure we have the carpentry skills to do that ourselves but it makes a great addition!August 14, 2017 at 11:32 am #1197
Me too. I need this.January 13, 2018 at 12:55 pm #1569
Your idea is amazing! We were debating the addition of some kind of in cabin storage. Really glad we saw your design! Did you use all okoume? Wondering how you got the curve in the front panel.January 17, 2018 at 11:11 am #1583
Love that idea… I’m going to incorporate a version of it in my teardrop. I’m working from plans so I have extra okume to spare for some mods. I’m thinking of adding some headboard storage as well… something sloped at an angle so that it helps with pillow space…
JasonJanuary 17, 2018 at 3:10 pm #1588
Outstanding! I’d planned to do exactly this in my build. I’m really glad you did it first. It looks great!February 15, 2018 at 1:23 pm #1649
Sorry Apkley it took so long to ans your question. Like I said I used cardboard from the shipment packing to make a prototype and made sure it fit so as not to deal with fitting a glued up insert. I found a supplier to purchase some extra okoume plywood. The trim around the openings are water oak as is the molding below them. Those rings were cut out of a single board and then routed to fit as well as rounded off. I made a form to shape them to fit the curve and sandwiched them in it one at a time after steaming them, just used a dutchoven with a small colander under the wood to keep it out of the boiling water for about 10 min. You should make the form have a slightly sharper than you need curve to allow for some spring back. The molding was also steam bent but in a 4” pvc pipe connected to a teakettle spout. Just make sure to quickly apply the shape desearded shape as all ability to maintain shaping leaves quickly as it cools and ware gloves. The curve for the cabinet is easy as the plywood bends easily and stitch and glue works well there, 1/4” thickness is more than strong enough and once epoxy and some fiberglass is added to some inside corners it all becomes very rigged just make sure you work on a large flat surface to prevent any warp once finished. I think I used 4 nuts and bolts to fasten it to the bulkhead and this allows me to remove it if needed in the future. Good luck.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.