Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Whitewash or pickle wood?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jb
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions about whitewashing or pickling the camper shell before epoxying? I’m playing with the idea of trying to get a lighter overall color while still being able to see the wood grain.

Thanks!

Jason

jb
    Participant

As a follow up to this question, is there another type of wood flour or other alternative that is much lighter than the MAS flour included in the kit? If I’m able to bleach the exterior, I’d like to keep the seams as light as possible as well. I imagine Cell-o-fill won’t get stiff enough for this purpose but perhaps it would work?

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

I dyed mine darker using Behlen Solar Lux non grain raising dye. If you can find a dye product you like it should work. Just remember dyes are different than stains. Dyes penetrate into the wood where as stains sit on top and would not work well with epoxy.

cel-o-fill is bright white I recommend mixing part cello part wood flour to obtain a filler that closely matches a sample dyed piece. I doubt you would sacrifice much mechanical strength with a mixture of the two.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.