White Spots in epoxy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Greenleaf
    Participant

Hello,

We just unwrapped our camper to get started on the last legs of the fabrication.  We have found some white areas/spots in/on the epoxy.  Has anyone seen this and what is the best way to deal with it?  They were not there in late fall when we wrapped before the first snow fall.  The camper was completely covered all winter (Rochester, NY area).  We have NOT done the final sanding and coating yet.  I am thinking that we need to sand and coat two more times rather than the one we were hoping…  Here’s what it looks like:

White spots on epoxy

stevie
    Participant

I had the same problem this winter.  It’s known as “epoxy bloom”.  Rub it off with a cloth saturated with full-strength vinegar.  It took mine off in just a few moments.

Greenleaf
    Participant

That worked perfectly to get rid of the bloom.  our transom though has more prodigious spots that may be from some water getting on it when it was curing last fall.  We will just flip that over and it will be on the inside.

stevie
    Participant

Oddly enough, my blooming took place at the very same location.  I’m in the Memphis area and we had a wonderfully mild winter, so perhaps the bloom wasn’t temperature related.

Whatever the reason, a vinegar wash was far less difficult than getting out the orbital sander, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.