Vibrating galley hatch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    metric_pinecone
    Participant

Hi fellow CLC tear droppers,

It seems that when my galley hatch is closed, the gas springs push up on the underside just hard enough that air can blow under the edges/corners. At highway speeds this starts to cause a nasty vibrating that surely would be destructive if left unabated. The problem goes away when I take the gas springs off.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone found a solution?

I’m considering adding an additional stiffener but it would be a lot of work and I’m not sure it would solve it.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

sandman
    Participant

I didn’t use the supplied latch but instead used a pair of latches that I bought on Amazon. “YUSOVE Boat Anti-Rattle Latch 316 Stainless Steel Lockable Hold Down Clamp Latch,Marine Hatch Hardware Fasteners,Pack of 2”. Works great!

boxerteam
    Participant

I don’t know if the following would be the best for you, and you should know I am very early in my build, but I recently sold a late model airstream that had heavy rubber “band” that connected on both the body of the camper and on the large window shades that would have had a similar vibration problem… This rubber “linkage” had a ball formed in it that would under significant elastic pressure be placed in a stainless “receiver” of the opposing component.  These parts would be available at Airstream and surely would be available elsewhere….  This may not be the beat solution, but it will solve the problem.

wayne3676
    Participant

I added a stiffener and have two stainless flush latches

metric_pinecone
    Participant

Thanks everyone. @wayne3676, if your solution solved the problem I’d be very interested to see what the stiffener you used look like. Do you mind share a picture?

wayne3676
    Participant

I’d love to send a picture. But I’ve been trying to post but not working. i used the bunk parts .

sandman
    Participant

I also used a stiffener in about the middle of the hatch.

its made with a piece of 1/2” thick solid oak and installed with a couple epoxy/wood flour fillets.

metric_pinecone
    Participant

Whoa. That a beautiful galley. And impressive electrical set up. Thanks.

wkurmes
    Participant

I added a couple of pieces of plywood (one was the shim from installing the galley flat) as stiffeners, then used some nylon strap and suck release buckles on either side in addition to the latch. Someone did this in an old post and it seems to work well.

wayne3676
    Participant

latch

jb
    Participant

@wayne3676 I’ve had my eye on similar flush latches but haven’t figured which kind to get to latch on to the galley flat or the gutter. Can you share pictures of how you managed that?

wayne3676
    Participant

wayne3676
    Participant

used a phone on video to get the angle right. put screws in it from underneath

wayne3676
    Participant

jb
    Participant

Thanks @wayne3676! This is likely the approach I’ll take. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Jason

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.