Unclear on sanding?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ButchFNJ
    Participant

So I’m still unclear on sanding! I know in the book it says to sand the edges of the glass on the top panels before adding the side glass to make a smooth transition. Did that. Now have the sides glassed but can’t see where it says to sand the edges of the side glass where it overlaps the top. Will the fill coats fill in the edges of the fabric there so there is no need to sand them down smooth?? And the book doesn’t say to sand the surface before the first fill coat but it does say to sand before the last coat of epoxy?

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

The sanding to “feather” the edge is only needed for the 2 top layers because it is so thick. After the top 2 sheets and the side sheets have received their wet out coats you will do 2 “fill” coats.

Do Not Sand Before The 2 Fill Coats.

You will only need to sand After the 2 fill coats prior to the last (3rd) coat. This is the sanding step that will smooth out any bumps or ridge caused by the side glass overlapping on the top 2 fiberglass sheets which should be minimal.

After your 3rd and final coat you can rest easy, the hard parts are done for a while. Hope this clears up any confusion.

ButchFNJ
    Participant

Thank you AA that was the way I was leaning.  I think they needed one more sentence in that section of the hymnal!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.