Ultra-Tow trailer: axle placement in relation to doors

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Ultra-Tow trailer: axle placement in relation to doors

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Deepwoods
    Participant

I just put together my Ultra-Tow trailer.  It looks like the fenders will get in the way of the doors.  The fenders sit very high.  If I place the forward corners of the quarterpanels at the rear corners of the trailer, the fenders will stick up right by the doors.  How have other builders solved this problem?  Reduce the height of the fender supports?  Move the axle forward or aft?  Move the camper forward on the trailer?  Thanks for any ideas.

smithn00
    Participant

I have a Northern Tools trailer.  I moved the axle back several inches and relocated the fender on its support bracket to solve this problem.

Deepwoods
    Participant

Thanks, smithn00.  Can you quantify how far back you moved the axle and how much you lowered the fender.  Since you already have a working solution, I don’t want to reinvent the wheel.

smithn00
    Participant

Exactly, I don’t remember.  That was over a year ago.  About 6″ I think.

western_flyer
    Participant

I positioned the U brace for the springs 19 1/2 inch from the end of the trailer frame. That gives about and inch clearance for the door from the fender front edge.  With the tongue box and small vestibule I added, this put the tongue weight at around 60 pounds with the TD unloaded, which is in the 10 to 15% to the overall weight that is generally recommended.

An added note the stock fenders would rub and rattle against the TD sides. I put a strip of foam weather stripping between them and solved the problem.

Hope this helps.

Deepwoods
    Participant

Bunks?  The Ultra-Tow trailer is 5 feet wide.  Would I be correct to assume that I won’t need to install the bunks?

western_flyer
    Participant

Deep woods,

I cut them up and used the strips as structural supports on top of the trailer beams. I added some hard rubber strips to shim the difference between the cross members and the side rails.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.