tongue box alternative

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tomtnt
    Participant

I’m contemplating whether or not the wood tongue box is worth the hefty pricetag.  Has anyone found a steel/aluminum tongue box alternative to the CLC’s box??

SOMDTD
    Participant

I also think the price of CLC’s box is a bit much.  I am just going to build my own out of plywood.  May just paint it and forego glassing it…..  I think a lot of the cost of CLC’s box is the epoxy and fiberglass.

I’m also looking at pickup tool boxes as an alternative.

SOMDTD
    Participant

In fact I just bought this aluminum box.  $130 bucks.  48″ x 15″H 15.25″ wide.

https://bestchoiceproducts.com/collections/automotive/products/49-aluminum-camper-tool-box-w-lock-pickup-truck-bed-atv-trailer-storage

derek0
    Participant

I bought and assembled the CLC box and and think it is a well executed design, BUT it is perhaps 50% more expensive than it ought to be.  Same could be said for the galley module.  And the headliner.  And…well, you get the point.  I kinda feel CLC might be trying to recoup some of the costs associated with the relatively affordable camper kit, and they do have us kit builders by the short hairs, as it were.  Having said all that, I am very happy with the CLC box and would probably buy it again if I had to.

tomtnt
    Participant

ouch… I really appreciate the headliner.. if i were more skilled, i would have built my own galley….  the box is a tough pill to swallow at $425+shipping… wonder if that is due for a price hike as well….

SOMDTD
    Participant

I am going to get the headliner.  I think it adds an important touch to the overall utility of the camper.I don’t think I could fabricate something that looks that good for any significantly less money.

Eric
    Participant

I felt the same way, but I have a cnc machine (shopbot) so I reverse engineered the galley and box and spent $65 in 6mm okuome plywood. from the my local marine plywood guy for each. Can’t do it for anyone else though lest there be a copyrite issue. The special requirements led to designs of my own derived measurements but they look like copies and I do credit John Harris 100% for the concept.  I was careful to size my box for my Engel electric frig/freezer, for which I ran power to the box. Will send pictures by email to anyone interested. Unless someone can tell me how to post photos to this site from my android tablet.

Boardwalk
    Participant

I am planning to use the CLC box.  It just gels with the rest of the design.  I may mount a solar panel to the cover like a few other builders have done.

TheNest
    Participant

We are in the planning stages and thought the idea of the box like SOMDTD had was a great idea, that and a small box in front of it for a pair of type 27 batteries.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.