Title/Plates in Maryland

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rklina
    Participant

Hello everyone –

I have been mapping out my plans for a build. I was hoping I could have some input from someone who is located in the state of Maryland on the process of obtaining plates. I have heard a lot of people mentioning having the trailer registered as a utility trailer and then build. I see some conflicting information on this as well.

The finished product will be on a brand new trailer with VIN and Title – Dry weight 1200 lbs, no plumbing, engine, bathroom, etc…

Can anyone walk me through the process that has experience or familiar with the state of Maryland? I wasn’t sure if I should just call the DMV and explain or if theres a certain way to finagle things to obtain the plates.

Do I just take the empty trailer to the DMV, do I take the completed tear drop there? Any help here would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

EagleSoaring
    Participant

When you buy the trailer or the kit the dealer will provide you a receipt for the purchase and a title for the trailer.  Make sure the title is signed by the dealer representative.  Then at the MVA you are going to present the receipt (for calculating the sales tax) and the title. The registration process is very straight forward and you will get the vehicle registration for two years.  You have to pay a. Sales tax b. Title and tag fee c. Two year registration fee.  Once you get the tag and registration you can build your camper.  There is no other way home built trailers in Maryland.

CWStevens
    Participant

This is the way!

Be very sure the sales receipt does not include the camper or kit, lest you will pay MD State sales tax on the entire value.

I had to get the trailer inspected first, even though mine was built at the factory.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.