The bottom confusion!

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ButchFNJ
    Participant

So my build is really slow. (full time job, weather etc) I am at the bottom finally and was going to order the Bright Side paint for it but the young lady at CLC said they were using automotive undercoating now in the classes. Specifically Rust-Oleum Undercarrige Black 1 quart can. However I can only find it on line but don’t seem to be able to actually buy it! Checked the Rust-Oleum site and can only find mentions of Truckbed Liner. It makes sense that a undercarriage paint would be great for wear and tear if I could find it! Any thoughts on weather “ Undercarriage and Truckbed Liner are the same thing”?

Thanks for all the forum help:)

cureboy
    Participant

In my case I used gravel guard. About the same as  bedliner. I have a great result.

CWStevens
    Participant

I just bought some Rust-oleum Truck Bed Coating from Amazon.  It’s what we used in the class.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070S7U4Y

Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating

RCRICH
    Participant

Does the rustoleum truck liner go directly on the epoxy or do you prime it?

CWStevens
    Participant

We put it directly on the epoxy.  I can tell you… Do *NOT* use this stuff without ventilation and VOC canisters.  It took overnight to dry before we could flip it back over.  Once home, we still had to do several fill-coats of epoxy on top, which still seems to adhere well over-top the the  black liner coat.  (Varnish as well.)

Greenleaf
    Participant

We covered the bottom with the normal epoxy/glass coating as per instructions.  Then we sanded it with 80 grit to make it a bit rough.  We put marine deck coating on it after that.  Ends up a hard grey/black shell.  We went up the side about an inch to protect from road kick-up.

mkley22
    Participant

@greenleaf how has the marine deck coating worked out? That’s my thought too because I can’t find white truck bed liner except this raptor spray that seems too messy for my working space.

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

I sprayed ours with Raptor. It wasnt too messy and has held up very well. It goes on thick too with a bit of textute which adds to the protection factor. Price was right easy to use, highly recommend.

madebymike60
    Participant

Here’s another vote for U-pol Raptor. I have a Fuji HVLP 4-stage system but used the suction feed gun from an older system. The raptor liner was thinned just under 20% and it went on very nicely. There was very little overspray but the camper sides were protected by paper and cardboard just in case.

madebymike60
    Participant

Here’s how the U-pol raptor liner turned out. Each bottle of liner provided a good coat over the entire bottom and I used two bottles about an hour apart (each one thinned about 20%). Right now it looks great with just a slight texture. I can’t say how long it will last but from online reviews and feedback on this forum, it should protect for many years. As others have said, use a good respirator and work where you have ventilation if possible.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.