Storage box: wood coming through at edges after fiberglassing

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Storage box: wood coming through at edges after fiberglassing

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mkley22
    Participant

Hi folks,

We just started our teardrop build and decided to work on the Storage Box while stitching the teardrop together to get some practice with the techniques on a lower stake part of the project.

Not sure if our parts were a bit off, but we ended up spending close to 3 days trying to stitch the box together to get it close to flush. We’ve now fiberglassed it, however because of the angles of the corners the fiberglass seems to have come away right at the seams and edges with a light sand.

1. Do I need to patch these or would it suffice to epoxy over these bare wood parts along the edges? 

Also, in case anyone is able to consult on these next two questions:

2. How smooth do I sand the texture of the fiberglass? 

3. How perfect does the alignment of the camper in the shell need to be? We’re spending a lot more time than it seems stitching and restitching the shell to the mold ans I wonder if we’re being a bit overcautious.

Thank you!

wudboatVT
    Participant

Hi, I’d be happy to help. Can you post any photos of the storage box? And by storage box do you meet the tongue box or the integrated cargo carrier (ICC)?

John

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.