stains from epoxy drips????

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum stains from epoxy drips????

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gerald Baranski
    Participant

I’m in the middle of my build. On page 121 it states that “one thing you don’t have to sand off: epoxy stains”. So I left these stains, they were cleaned with denatured alcohol(before curing) and sanded with everything else. when I applied the epoxy and fiberglass the stains have remained visible! I have not added any more epoxy to fill in the weave. finally we come to my question…..Will the stain disappear magically as I add epoxy or will I have to look at this staining for the rest of my life as it is entombed under the fiberglass???

I am vexed by the possibility of this being permanent and very disappointed that I was instructed to leave it therewood stained by epoxy

CWStevens
    Participant

Fear not…  Since epoxy will soak the entirety of the wood veneer (even through the fiberglass), it will all blend together into a nice uniform tint!!!  And the fiberglass will become transparent.

(CA glue spots are another story…  They will remain little light specs anywhere you were overzealous with your application.)

Chris

rovineye
    Participant

I’m confused. If you have already epoxied the fiberglass should already be transparent. Are you fully wetting the glass with epoxy?

Gerald Baranski
    Participant

It is transparent. You may be seeing the texture of the glass in the reflection. When seen from straight on, everything is transparent.

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

It’s difficult to tell exactly from the photo, can you upload another with less glare/ direct light?

As long as you are wetting the fiberglass all the way through to the wood it should blend in with the “stains” from previous steps before the epoxy even sets up. If it doesn’t blend in at the wetting stage then you may not be fully saturating the glass.

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

Here is an example I have, all the “stains” or dark spots seen here went away completely after i covered the interior completely in epoxy.

rovineye
    Participant

Second what Adam said. If properly wetted the glass is transparent and the wood darkens and the existing epoxy streaks blend in. Your wood doesn’t look like it got wet. The next epoxy coat won’t be able to penetrate the first coat. The existing “stains” will stay visible, but maybe more concerning is the question of if the glass is really adhering to the wood.

Gerald Baranski
    Participant

a couple more photos. I hope these a re helpful

Gerald Baranski
    Participant

Gerald Baranski
    Participant

Gerald Baranski
    Participant

sorry about the glare. if you look at it head on, everything is clear with no areas that aren’t adhered . no voids or bubbles.

rovineye
    Participant

I am at a loss to explain.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.