Smitten

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JuanAbby
    Participant

I admit it, I am totally smitten with this little camper but there is a problem. I love the idea of the project but if I am honest with myself I am unlikely to use it. So here is the question, is there a market for the finished product that would allow me the enjoyment of the project and be able to sell it when complete? I am not thinking of this as a business and want to build just one and be able to recover the direct cost without concern about compensation for the labor. Has anyone sold a finished camper and if so what was the market value?

Bob D.
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>You’ll never recover your money unless you value your time at $0.00/hr.</p>

friz
    Participant

I’m sure that if it is well done, you would get your monetary investment back and then some. I have gotten a serious offer out of the blue that would put money in my pocket. I refused.

Bob D.
    Participant

Yes but not time investment.  At my normal rate, I’m at least $10k in labor into it and I’m not done.

mpilone
    Participant

The original poster said that he/she wasn’t concerned about compensation for time so I think you’d be looking at $5 – 6K for the kit, trailer, electrical, supplies, etc. I would recommend doing some Craig’s list searching in your area to see what used trailers are going for. As CLC has pointed out in the past, at some point you start competing with used RVs that, while not as unique, can offer more amenities/space.

One thing to double check are the state laws regarding selling the trailer/RV. It seems like some states let you just register the trailer as a utility trailer while others require it to be registered as an RV. Also, if you make any modifications to the trailer, like with the Northern Tools kit, you might get some questions when selling it. Worth double checking to know what you are getting into. If you’re not taking it on the road, you could let the buyer be the first to register/title it.

That being said, my gut tells me you could find someone to buy it for 5 or 6K.

-mike

Bob D.
    Participant

I don’t think $5k to $6k is going to be an issue.  My time is worth more than nothing, and in fact I’ll be pushing the $15k in labor mark before ever even outfitting this thing.   Only a fool would sell such a labor intensive build at the cost of parts.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Bob D..
    friz
    Participant

I don’t think it’s a foolish thing at all. I used to be in the kit aircraft industry and this was something that came up on occasion. Some people just need to keep busy and want to learn new things. Some of the customers I sold aircraft kits to were not even pilots.

catcamper
    Participant

We have talked about doing our first one, and then once we have better skills, selling our first one and using the money to buy another one to really make perfectly with what we have learned. There is a learning curve in epoxy and fiberglass. I’m very glad our first fiberglass seams will be covered or I would never stop fretting over them lying in the the TD.

faithie999
    Participant

unless you have a buyer lined up for your first build, I would say that you can build it right the first time, IF you:

take your time

read the entire manual stem to stern twice before you start anything

take your time

make sure your workshop temperature is between 65-75 F (others may say a wider range is do-able but that’s my experience)–this may lead you to spend a few more dollars on a heater for the spring and fall seasons, and an AC for the summer

take your time

make liberal use of emails to Dillon at CLC who is incredibly responsive to all questions.

yes, I have a few “birthmarks” on my TD that only I can see, but not nearly enough to want to find a buyer.

if you haven’t made the purchase yet, buy the digital version of the manual for $15.  you will find it incredibly detailed, full of photos, and will greatly boost your confidence in taking on the project.

good luck

ken

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.