Small, pinhead size white dots after sanding

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Small, pinhead size white dots after sanding

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mpilone
    Participant

In my on-going quest to learn all the ways epoxy and fiberglass can be challenging, I noticed small, pinhead white dots while sanding my fill coat. I think this means I’m just touching the glass but I don’t know if it means I need to go a bit farther with sanding or if I already went a bit to far.

From this blog post (discovered elsewhere in the forum) https://www.bob-easton.com/blog/2010/1394/ the author’s first picture looks similar to what I’m seeing. However I’m worried about sanding through the glass so I don’t want to do anymore until I get confirmation that I still have room to sand.

After wetting the spots with alcohol they are still visible but not the end of the world. I’m also not sure if they will look different under another coat of epoxy vs the alcohol. I could definitely live with them but if this is common and there is an easy fix (like sand more), I’m all ears.

Thanks for the help.

-mike

Dry

Wet

Another Spot Wet

• This topic was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by mpilone.
    faithie999
    Participant

experts may have another (better!) suggestion, but here’s mine:

the white material is the very fine epoxy sanding dust nestled into low spots in the fiberglass cloth.  I had that in a few places.  I assumed that to get rid of the white spots I would have to sand almost all the way through the ‘glass which I didn’t want to do.  so I used a stiff toothbrush soaked in denatured alcohol and was able to dislodge almost all the sanding dust from the pits.

ken

Bob D.
    Participant

I used compressed air to clean out the few areas like this I had.  Make sure if you’re using a compressor that it’s not spraying oil along with that air.

faithie999
    Participant

in addition to using the toothbrush with alcohol, I also used the toothbrush after I had the epoxy on to try to get to some of the pits that were still white after the alcohol treatment.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by faithie999.
    mpilone
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I decided to put the top hatch on before another coat of epoxy so I still have time to give these methods a try this week.

-mike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.