Slowing the speed of Dometic Fan-tastic fan?

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Slowing the speed of Dometic Fan-tastic fan?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jb
    Participant

Maybe most people are OK with the speed of the Dometic fan but I feel like the lowest speed is still faster than I’d like. Ideally for me it would go fast enough to remove CO2 but not so fast that you feel a distinct breeze. I’m thinking about adding another resistor and a switch to bypass it, allowing me to have a high and low range of speeds. If anyone has attempted something like this, I’d love to hear how it went. I did a quick test of the existing resistors in the fan and it looks like there is a .3, 3, and 4 ohm resistor but I’ll need to double check this and the resulting voltage if I decide to dive into this project. I’ll probably get an assortment of resistors so I can see what speeds I can get without stalling the fan. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

madebymike60
    Participant

I installed one of these after seeing something similar in a video.

RioRand™ Upgraded 6V-90V 15A DC Motor Pump Speed Controller – (product on Amazon)

I couldn’t find the original video but here’s a similar install. Search for this on Youtube. (I’d post the link but that and a picture make my post disappear.)

Fantastic Vent Relocation/Speed Control Upgrade: Four Wheel Camper Shell Buildout

I think there’s only one corner that it can fit in so you just have to make it work there. I don’t remember needing to cut any plastic but the circuit board with mine was a little too big to fit like in the video above and had to be installed slanted and just hot glued in place. A little searching might lead you to a slightly smaller one that will fit better (easier) but the one above was fine.

The way it’s wired, which I think is correct, means the 1-2-3 speed switch on the fan gets by-passed and just needs to be anywhere but ‘0’ to work. The rotary knob will make it go from barely on to what was speed ‘3’ before. I leave mine on low and turn it off and on at a 12 volt switch panel on the shelf, increasing the speed if needed. It can run much quieter now and was well worth the effort.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by madebymike60.
    jb
    Participant

Mike, thanks for the exact part and info I needed! I’ll be ordering this today.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.