Shore Power Circuit Breaker

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Shore Power Circuit Breaker

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MIKEinMT
    Participant

I’m trying to find a source for a 20A 120V circuit breaker.  I’m putting AC shore input, as well as battery and battery charger up front in a tongue box and I’m having trouble finding a simple breaker w/enclosure to mount near AC input.  Also, not entirely sure I need to do this at all (skip breaker since I would think RV AC hookups are already on breaker panels).

any recommendations?

thanks in advance.

Mike

western_flyer
    Participant

I used a Blue Seas 20 amp marine breaker. More expensive than a house breaker from Home Depot but much more practical and pretty easy to install.  I installed it in the “electrical box” area between the cabin and galley. The cabin side has the breaker and a 20 amp GFIC receptacle tucked into an outdoor PVC double gang box with a twin receptacle heavy duty nylon “unbreakable” cover plate. For the breaker I drilled a dummy insert to fit the breaker toggle switch and screw holes. I glued a single gang box to the back of the double, which fit almost perfectly with the face panel on the galley side. I used marine tinned 12 gauge wire throughout.

Do you need a breaker at all? I’ve spent way too many hours viewing how-to RV videos on You Tube. One thing I’ve taken away is the RV park hookups can be wild cards. Some parks may not have 20 amp service and you might have to “dog bone” to a 30 amp outlet and would definitely want some 20 amp protection. Another video showed an example of old 20 amp breakers that didn’t function properly. For $20 bucks an onboard breaker can bring peace of mind.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/14/29/Circuit_Breakers/A-Series

rovineye
    Participant

I use an over-load guard extension cord to connect to shore power. It has an integrated 15 amp circuit breaker. I don’t know if they or others make a 20 amp cord.

western_flyer
    Participant

I’ve used those breaker extension cords in outdoor work situations extensively. They work very well. The one I used had the GFIC built in along with the breaker. It was 15 amp. You might have to go to an electrical supply house to find a 20 amp version.

MIKEinMT
    Participant

THANKS! – my main issue was trying to figure out how to house the breaker…you’ve given me some good ideas.  My setup is a little different since I’ll be putting the breaker up front in the trailer tongue box.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Circuit breakers are installed in the control panels of many RVs to prevent power surges. The circuit breakers will trip if the system becomes too heavy, protecting the equipment and the owner. With that in mind, a surge protector for your RV may not be necessary. Even if it isn’t required, you can still get one for peace of mind.

CLCTeardrop 623
    Participant

I installed this ‘UTSAUTO Circuit Breaker 20Amp Resettable Fuse Circuit Breaker Auto Car Stereo Inline Fuse Holders Inverter, Manual Reset 12V-24V DC for Automotive Marine Boat Audio System Protection’ from Amazon and am happy with it so far –

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.