Rooftop AC?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    neldave
    Participant

Has anyone tried a small rooftop AC on their teardrop? Was considering this one but concerned 70lbs might be too heavy. https://www.campingworld.com/dometic-brisk-ii-air-conditioner-630173.html?dwvar_630173_color=blck&cgid=air-conditioners-accessories

breescyclust
    Participant

People put more than that weight on their roofs when they load their roof racks with 2 kayaks… Although the racks attach where there are three layers of FG, the rack mounts are only a few square inches each.  So it should be OK, as long as your bezel is well glassed – it should distribute the load adequately.  If your build isn’t completed I’d add another layer of FG on the bezel and 3-4″ onto the roof, and maybe another layer under the bezel.  I’ve never had anything fail that I over-built!

Brian

blue70beetle
    Participant

That unit is quite large for what you would need for a camper this size – about 4-5x, maybe even more. It’s going to short cycle, which isn’t good for the compressor.

I haven’t found an A/C unit suitable for something as small as a teardrop; I wouldn’t want to spend $1k or more and install a unit only to find that it’s not sized properly. On the high end, you want something with about 2800 BTU based on 80 BTU/sf, and because a teardrop isn’t very tall inside, I expect you would want something closer to 2000 BTU.

pbspiritwind
    Participant

I have been considering the Zero Breeze Mark 2 portable AC unit. To early in my build to give it much thought.

Paul B

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.