This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  friz 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

RCRICH
    Participant

Should i add an extra layer of glass on the doors in the begining when  panels 3 and 4 go in so they hold the shape later when they get cut out.

I read this and was wondering.

stretchMike
    Participant

I did not do that (didn’t see post), but in retrospect I think that is an excellent idea.

My approach to avoiding the tensioning strap fix was to beef up the door stiffener and window sill.

Once the doors were cut out I made a temporary mould of the door opening profile from scraps of 2×3 and plywood.

Then clamped the doors to the mold when I glued in the sill and stiffener

“… a man can never be too rich, too good looking, or have too many clamps”

I increased the size of my door stiffener and sill so that they overlap at the panel joint to greatly stiffen the whole door.

So far, so good – the doors are holding their shape.

RCRICH
    Participant

Very nice work

PatandRay
    Participant

I really wish I had seen this before. The doors and the galley hatch both seal well but I cannot help but think that they both “sprung” out of their original shape after being cut from the body.

It is one of those things I always notice but observers still flock.

PatandRay
    Participant

Jon
    Participant

I put a layer of fiberglass on the whole inside of the door, extending about 3″ beyond the front, back, top, and bottom of the door as i was worried about the spring back and overall door strength / durability as the single layer of fiberglass didnt make the sides seem all that stiff vs. the top with 2 layers.  To save epoxy, I didnt wet out the section over the window which will be cut out.  We’ll see if the slight increase in thickness causes any fit problems, but because it also thickens the area around the door, i think the door seals will fit ok.  It wasnt all that fun crawling in from the back several times to position the cloth and wet out with epoxy, but it did stiffen the door up as it now has 2 layers of fiberglass (and 3 where the joint is due to the fiberglass tape) separated by plywood core.

We just cut the doors out 2 weeks ago and didnt notice any spring back to the outside.  If anything, they might have sprung inwards slightly, which would improve the seal.  So I would recommend it (but note we havent fitted the door seals or hinges yet)

friz
    Participant

This may be the solution to spring back on the doors. Brilliant.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.