Quarter panels

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    restonthewind
    Participant

To align the bottom of a quarter panel with the galley flat, I cannot attach the quarter panel to the #4 panel in the usual way, corner to corner. The edge of the quarter panel must be flush with the #4 panel, and with the quarter panel aligned with the flat, the edge of the #4 panel extends well beyond quarter panel at the bottom. The right panel is pictured. The left side is similar, but less of the #4 panel extends beyond the quarter panel.

Quarter panel

I see no way to avoid this problem, so I suppose I must saw/sand away the excess #4 panel before fiberglassing the shell. A picture in the manual, on p. 96, seems to show this relationship between the quarter panel and #4 panel, but the excess #4 panel is smaller, and the text doesn’t mention it. Did other builders have the same experience? I promise to wait for your replies this time!

catcamper
    Participant

We had the same issue, unfortunately we had laid lots of large fillets before realizing our mistake. Our plan is now a large round over and we had to sand large fillets to be smooth. Honestly, I would call CLC on Monday because it really is NOT clear, we believe that the quarter panels should be aligned with the galley flat, which we did not do. We had large gaps and had to use a router where the panels stuck up on the bottom. You won’t know you made a mistake until you fit the transom and the bottom on. Hopefully they can fix this in future kits, although we are a little relieved to see it’s not just us having an issue with this:)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by catcamper.
    restonthewind
    Participant

Thanks, Cat. The transom fits as the quarter panels are attached now, and the bottom presumably fits since the tops of all panels fit together at the top as prescribed, but I have realigned my quarters a bit. The top edge now aligns with the #4 panel, inside corner to inside corner, like the other panel edges. The bottom still aligns with the flat as pictured above, so it’s far from inside corner to inside corner with the #4 panel, but I see no way to avoid it if the quarter is glued to the flat. This part of the manual needs more detail.

I’ll assemble my bottom today but wait for more feedback before gluing the quarter panels.

restonthewind
    Participant

I measured the bottom and shell, and the fit seems manageable as the quarters are attached, with inside corner to insider corner of the panel #4 at the top and inside corner to insider corner of the flat at the bottom. My #4 panel extends about a quarter inch beyond the quarter panel on the right (pictured above) and about an eight of an inch on the left. Removing this excess #4 with a sander after gluing the quarters doesn’t seem to be a problem, so I’ll glue the quarters this afternoon if I don’t hear more from the forum.

restonthewind
    Participant

Page 96 of the manual has a picture of the #4 panel extending past the quarter panel by a quarter inch or so, with the lid overhanging a similar gap. The extension is also apparent on a picture on p. 189, so everything about the quarters seems kosher. Apparently, CLC didn’t remove this bit of the #4 panel before glassing the shell.

rovineye
    Participant

Mine looked about the same. I just sanded it even today as I was fitting in the transom. I will round it when I flip the beast this week.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.