Pulled the trigger – wish me luck!

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Pulled the trigger – wish me luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    adamdj
    Participant

Hi folks,

After hours and hours of reading through forums and seeing everyone else’s builds I decided to take the plunge.  I put in my order yesterday and took advantage of the 5% discount CLC was offering.

This will be the largest project I’ve ever taken on, by far, so I am a little nervous.  I’ve never done any stitch & glue or epoxy/fiberglass work, so fingers crossed I don’t completely screw this thing up!

Thanks for all of the posts and advice.  I know I’ll be relying on these forums heavily!

adamdj

CWStevens
    Participant

Good luck!!!

I’m loving mine!  Where are you located?

wirewiggler
    Participant

They document the build process so well and with the info on this forum most any capable person should be able to build it. The only real difficult part of the build is the sanding and that is the make or break to the final appearance upon completion. Also temperature will play a big part in your working time with the epoxy if you are in a warmer part of the country you will want have some assistance when doing the glassing process and figure on doing them one seam at a time.

good luck Bill

adamdj
    Participant

I’m just outside of Salt Lake City, UT

wirewiggler
    Participant

Adam,

I live in Bakersfield California, the biggest mistake I made was having the kit shipped to me in the summer. As soon as I received the kit the wood began to warp, from the damp east coast to 100 degree west coast it seriously complicated the build. Also not only did it shorten the pot time of the epoxy but when I started in the morning with cooler temperatures and the epoxy began to cure with the temperature  rising in the noon I had serious off gassing that left bubbles all over my otherwise perfect Layup. I am retired and I worked on it 3-4 days a week with camper and ICC carrier I am about 4 months for my build.

Bill

caveprod
    Participant

My main suggestions having enjoyed my camper for over 12 months now with a build time of 12 months, is just keep sticking at it. I slowed down with the bits that worried me like fibreglassing and cutting out doors, but got back to it come hell or high water. I think the biggest option I included which I think is necessary is include the insulation, no matter where you come from. I am glad I included power from car/solar/240V.

The thing I included which  I dont use is an inverter.

wudboatVT
    Participant

To the OP: How’s your build going? I’m about to pull the trigger today and pick-up the kit in Madison, WI at Canoecopia. Can’t wait to get started.

adamdj
    Participant

Hey wudboatVT,

Things are going pretty good.  Slow, but good.  Last week I finished the big fiberglass job on the exterior of the camper.  Now I’m putting on the extra coats of epoxy.

Were you able to get your camper before corona shut everything down?  How’s it going?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.