Professional Finishes, looking for suggestions

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Professional Finishes, looking for suggestions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Drew
    Participant

Hey all,

approaching the finishing of my camper, and wanted to try and get some guidance here. I know the question on finishes has been beat to death a few times, so I’ll try to keep this brief. I saw that the water lust folks took their camper to be clear coated by an auto body shop. One of my local shops expressed concerns about the clear coat cracking on the teardrop since the wood is more flexible than metal. Has anyone here had an experience with automotive clear coating the teardrop? I’m down in Georgia where it’s already heating up, on top of never having varnished anything before, this seems liked the best option, but I’m open to suggestions!

wayne3676
    Participant

I believe CLC clear coated their camper.

Andrew
    Participant

Hi,

I got my teardrop professionally sprayed and have had no problems with any signs of cracking or fatigue of the lacquer after 2 years use. I love in the UK so don’t experience very high temperatures but I expect modern lacquers are quite able to cope with this.

My main advice would be to ensure that the lacquer has a high UV protection factor. Apparently it varies and I had to ask around and check out the technical specs to be sure.

I was well worth it and resulted in a great finish that needs no ongoing maintenance.

Hope that helps

Andrew

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.