Plywood thickness

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    pathin
    Participant

I am new to building something like this and I have been  watching the videos on assembling the teardrop. What is the thickness of the plywood? It seems a little thin and could be damaged during the build. Would heating or steaming help when assembling in the mold/jig?

rovineye
    Participant

The plywood is 6mm (1/4″) from memory. There was no point in the process that needed heat or steam to bend the panels. That all went extremely easy for me. Maybe in extreme cold that would be required, but the epoxy couldn’t be used in the cold anyway.

The mold protects the panels quite nicely. You could damage it by dropping tools on it and the like, but that would only be aesthetic. I recall one person on this board did crack one plywood panel but the fix was pretty straightforward.

This aspect of the build really is nothing to worry about.

faithie999
    Participant

I second rovineye’s comments.   there are no sharp curves anywhere in the build.  the plywood is plenty flexible.

I brew beer, and the mantra of home brewers is “relax–don’t worry–have a home brew” so the same applies here!!

Bob D.
    Participant

I fixed a crack.  Put my knee right into the side with all my weight while squatting down.

I don’t notice it after the repair.

Bob D.
    Participant

See this and the following posts in that thread: http://teardropforum.com/forums/topic/mistakes-oopsies-and-blunders/#post-587

pathin
    Participant

Thank you for your comments. I am hoping to build this for my daughter as she and her boyfriend enjoy camping. I want it to be unique. Something that comes from me to her. The cost of trailers these days are out of my price range and then I came across this!! Wow!

faithie999
    Participant

the TD is certainly unique.  when you’re camping, stopping for gas, etc. you will be amazed at how many comments and questions you get.  I was filling with gas at Costco on eclipse day before hitting the road, and the attendant kept me there easily 10 extra minutes asking questions an marveling at it.

Eric
    Participant

I believe it is 4mm (@3/16″)ply.  It bends into the mold easily but use caution on the number two panels. Don’t grab them by the edge while bending them into the mold especially about 1/3 of the way from the front: I cracked one at its edge – had to take it out and repair it (glass patch over crack in outside surface. Can’t really notice it in the beautiful in the finished trailer. Don’t be shy; its an easy fix.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.