Painting the ICC – Looking for Paint Options

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Painting the ICC – Looking for Paint Options

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cudovich
    Participant

I’m nearly to the step to paint my ICC base.  The manual notes the Brightsides Marine Polyurethanes, but also notes a Rubberized Undercoating….but I am not sure what product that is.

Has anyone used something they liked for the underside (the road exposed side) of the ICC?

I found Rust-Oleum, Black Automotive 248915 32-Ounce Truck Bed Coating Quarts, 2 Pound on Amazon (pint for about $30) which seems like the right stuff, but I’d love to hear someone who has used something they like.

Thanks!

-JC

wudboatVT
    Participant

Hi Cudovich,

I used that Rust0-Oleum product on the bottom of my ICC and the bottom of the tongue box. It’s a “just okay” product. It does what it says, but is only as good as the number of coats you use. I think I put 3 coats on the bottom of my ICC. It could still use more. TIP: Use a brush to apply this stuff. The roller — at least the CLC yellow ones we all know and love — won’t work. Stick with a brush and apply LIBERALLY and you’ll be all set.

That said, I’ve heard good things about the Raptor bed liner. As far as I know, it must be sprayed on (there are kits that include the right sprayer, etc) and it is definitely more expensive than Rust-Oleum.

I have some pictures here: @okoume_overland on Instagram.

Have fun! — John in Chicago

wudboatVT
    Participant

…and make sure you stir the can of Rust-Oleum very well before you use it!

stretchMike
    Participant

I used the U-Pol Raptor bedliner type material on the entire underside and inner fenders. 10,000 km later still working great.

Deepwoods
    Participant

I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating on the bottom of the camper shell.  (I’m not building the ICC.)  I quart did two coats.  Definitely stir well. The nap of the roller will control the thickness of the coating.  The first coat went on too thin, and I switched to, I think,  a medium nap roller.  Rustoleum sells a kit with the proper roller included, but just buy the can and roller separately.

wudboatVT
    Participant

@stretchmike is the Raptor liner a spray-on product only?

stretchMike
    Participant

Yes, but the kit comes with a spray gun. Just need a source of compressed air. Paint has very strong odour. So need good ventilation and mask.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.