Number of epoxy layers on exterior?

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Number of epoxy layers on exterior?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    adamdj
    Participant

Hey builders out there,

I’ve finished glassing the exterior of my teardrop and have started to add the additional layers of epoxy.  My question is, you know how you can see/feel the fiberglass texture after initially completing that step?  Is the goal to keep adding more layers of epoxy until that texture is gone?  I’ve got 2 layers of epoxy on after the fiberglass and I still see some texture.  Should I start sanding as the manual suggests? Or should I add more epoxy until everything is smooth?

Thanks for the help!

adamdj

wudboatVT
    Participant

@adamdj,

In my experience, it’s best to keep adding light layers of epoxy until the texture disappears. It will disappear. So much depends on how light/thick you’re laying it on. Also, as in everything in the epoxy world, so much depends on temperature.

My advice is to keep rolling on light layers of epoxy until the texture disappears. Now, in my experience, there are always a couple of spots that for some reason are more stubborn than others. Keep at it!

John in Chicago

@okoume_overland on Instagram

jmb_builds
    Participant

Just make sure you stick to the time frame between coats suggested in the manual. I did not think of it when I applied a fill coat after a two weeks break. I’m still not done sanding that messed-up coat off, 18 hours WASTED so far…

adamdj
    Participant

@Johannes

What was the problem with waiting 2 weeks? What happened to that fill coat?

The manual says to apply 2 coats and let them cure for 24 hours.  I assumed that meant 24 hours between each coat?  Is that wrong?

I’m about to apply my 2nd coat and it has been 48 hours since my first.  What potential problem could I be running into?

adamdj
    Participant

@wudboatVT

Do you mean to keep adding layers in the same session until the texture disappears?  Or do you apply a layer, wait for it to cure, then apply another?

jmb_builds
    Participant

I don’t want to make anyone nervous, my apologies in case this has already happened. Perhaps my case is too specific as I’m not using a CLC-supplied epoxy (no apparent big brand in the background).

Short story: in my case the epoxy did not properly stick to the coat applied two weeks before. Had I sanded between, I could have avoided this.

Long story with additional speculation and gibberish: my camper might be subject to amine blush, but since I have no reference and I don’t perceive a waxy consistency, I don’t actually know. Pictures on the net & those I have make it look like it is amine blush. Perhaps I should double-double check this when doing the next coats. Honestly, I just start to think about this in detail now, as I’m writing here. It simply made me super-frustrated. Now I should stop stealing your topic & drifting away into something that is very much likely a non-issue for you.

Back to the topic: I’m with John, light layers would be the key. Thick ones would only sag into hills & valleys.

adamdj
    Participant

@Johannes  Not a problem! Thanks for sharing.  I’m a complete n00b when it comes to epoxy, so the more people share the more I learn.  I really appreciate it!

wudboatVT
    Participant

@adamdj the way I learned from CLC was to wait for the layer of epoxy to dry until it is no longer sticky to the touch…then apply another layer. If you wait longer than a day or two you should give it a light sanding before the next layer of epoxy.

Again, so much of this depends on temperature. I just put down some fiberglass and the first fill coat of epoxy on a part of the Integrated Cargo Carrier (ICC). It’s in the 40s here in Chicago. It will be tacky well into the early hours of tomorrow morning. But if it’s 60+ out and sunny it’s likely to “dry” in about 4 hours or so — at that point I’m personally comfortable laying down another layer of glue.

adamdj
    Participant

@wudboatVT  Makes sense.  Thanks for the help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.