Northern Tools Trailer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    smithn00
    Participant

I have the 6 x 8 aluminum trailer.  Does anyone have any experience with the wheel bearings on theis trailer?

western_flyer
    Participant

I have the 5×8 NT trailer but no long haul road experince, but the bearings look adequate considering how light the CLC teardrop is. I think it was on the NT Q&A section it was recommended to inspect the bearings fairly frequently. Maybe every 10000 miles and repack them as there are no grease nipples. My trailer’s bearing assys. do have grease nipples. I plan to check the the bearings often until I get a feel for their longevity. I also will order a pair of replacement bearings so if they seize up in the middle of nowhere I’m not trying to FedEx spares to the side of the road.

smithn00
    Participant

Western-Flyer,

Thanks for your replies.  They were very helpful.

Do you use “Bearing Puddy” on your wheel bearings?

smithn00
    Participant

Make that “Bearing Buddy”.

western_flyer
    Participant

I’ve never heard of Bearing Buddies before. They sound like the cat’s meow to prolong bearing life. I’m going to put a set on. Got to figure the size first.

Thanks for the info.

WF

Tom B Texas
    Participant

I have just completed my NT Trailer and will be adding Bearing Buddies. These were originally used for boat trailers so if you put trailer into water when bearings were “hot” the bearing buddies would compress to keep water out… great small safety expense…

A\Where did you  mount the Teardrop? All the way back or more to middle? That is my concern right now. I am thinking about putting battery in Storage Box if tongue is too light…

smithn00
    Participant

I moved the shell all the way back on the trailer.  I then relocated the axle back 8″ so the fenders won’t interfere with the doors.  I will carry the lead/acid battery inside under the galley.  The mattress doesn’t reach all the way to the transom.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.