need a mushroom vent cover

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum need a mushroom vent cover

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    faithie999
    Participant

did anyone buy a set of mushroom vents then decide not to use them?  my adult son has my teardrop on a trip, and this morning failed to screw one of the caps on tightly enough, so it flew off.

does anyone have one vent they would like to sell?

thanks

ken

mpilone
    Participant

I don’t have an extra but I was looking at possibly picking one up to vent a battery box. I found this on Amazon which looks just like the CLC one but I can’t say for sure:

You might want to contact CLC as well. They may sell you just one.

-mike

faithie999
    Participant

mike–i saw that one on amazon but says out of stock, ships in 1-2 months.

after loading the gallery of “mushroom vent” pictures on google, i found the same brand on eBay, sold by a supplier in “RV country” in northern indiana, for $12/free shipping.

here’s the link if you want to buy one for your battery box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-BLACK-Roof-Mushroom-Vent-w-water-guard-RV-Trailers-Keystone-Fast-Free-Ship/291105107141?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

ken

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by faithie999.
    mpilone
    Participant

Ah, good find. Thanks. Let us know if it is a drop in replacement when you get it.

-mike

friz
    Participant

It might be good to have a set of spares. The plastic threads on the covers are bound to wear. I remove my covers to insert plugs for travel. A lot of on and off.

mpilone
    Participant

Yeah, that’s a good point. I like some of the modifications others have done to put a knob on the threaded rod so it can be adjusted from inside the cabin rather than spinning the cap externally.

On a related note, I’m going to be cutting the holes for my vents in the next day or so. Did you install all 4 vents? Did you put the front two on per the manual? I’ve seen others complain of leaks and someone moved them to the sides of the cabin. You mentioned using plugs when traveling; have you had any water issues with the front two vents?

-mike

faithie999
    Participant

Instead of “travel plugs” I used the frost king foam gasket material like was supplied for the door and hatch gaskets. I installed the front vents using the goofy white rain guards and I needed a layer of 7/16 thick plus a layer of 5/16 thick to get a seal when screwed on fairly tight.  On the rear I didn’t use the rain guards so it took two layers of 7/16 to seal.  I can unscrew them enough for air flow without having to totally remove them.

BTW, the same outfit that I linked to sells a set of 4 vents for just under $40/free shipping.

friz
    Participant

I have my vents installed without modification and the “front” indicator facing upward. This works fine in rain while camping but is not sufficient to keep rain out in the swirl of air behind the toe vehicle at speed. Hence the travel plugs. What I do like about this is, the airflow through the camper is unimpeded during rain while camping. We have had some pretty good storms while camping in the teardrop and have stayed nice and dry inside.

faithie999
    Participant

mike–i received the replacement mushroom vent yesterday, and it is the same brand as what CLC supplied.

mpilone
    Participant

Great. Thanks for letting me know. I’ll probably pick up a pair as either replacements in reserve or use them on my battery box. Glad they worked out for you; now you can let your son off the hook 😉

-mike

faithie999
    Participant

That’s exactly what I told him!

rovineye
    Participant

http://www.rvstuff.com/ez-catalog/X325604/17/17480AW-1

Cap only, $9 free shipping. Same make and part number.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.