Modifying jigsaw to cut out doors and hatches

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Modifying jigsaw to cut out doors and hatches

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    breescyclust
    Participant

I’ve been dreading cutting out the doors and hatches.  I don’t have a small circular saw like some people have shown, and despite my Wife’s well-founded belief that I’ll buy any tool I don’t have and might use again, I didn’t go out and buy one for the straight parts.  I thought about the jigsaw and it’s weakness – the blade is not well constrained, and can wobble around quite a bit.  I thought of many schemes to stabilize the blade and started with a 3/16″ aluminum plate cut to the same size as the jigsaw base.  The base had four countersunk screws in it to hold a plastic insert so I had a means to attach the plate.  My bandsaw blade had a kerf just slightly narrower than the jigsaw blade, and I opened that up with some sandpaper.  The goal was to have a slot JUST wide enough to let the blade function, but no more.  I was prepared to add more pieces above the plate to lengthen the support slot, but didn’t have to.  You can see from my photos that the blade didn’t wander (I did a little bit, but that’s another story) and the cuts were thin and followed the lines. Front view of jigsaw plate

breescyclust
    Participant

Bottom of plate.  The slot is just wide enough for the flat part of the blade.  That isn’t clear from the photo. Bottom of jigsaw plate

breescyclust
    Participant

Cut line for top hatch.  This is where I started, since it mattered the least.  I figured I’d practice here before doing the doors and galleyCut lline on top hatch hatch.

breescyclust
    Participant

And the cut line for one of the doors.  I’m going to use metal hinges, hence the pads for mounting them.  I’ll cover that later if it works out ; ) . Cut line on door with modified jigsaw

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.