Lights

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stretchMike
    Participant

Given the lovely teardrop shape of the camper, I did not want to simply bolt on modern square or rectangular trailer lights.

Fortunately there is a wide selection of LED lights available especially in the classic / hot rod car market. I had in mind something from the late 50s and a bit of searching threw up modern LED replicas of 1959 Cadillac lights. I used left over 3/4 inch floor ply to create fairings as shown:

Then on to the reversing lights. Here I especially wanted something bright to light camping sites as I reversed in at night. Found 320 lumen units from etrailer. Next had to make fairings for right orientation from back 1/4 panels:

Finally a high mount third brake light:

RCRICH
    Participant

Very nice work

JimBuilt
    Participant

Wow! StretchMike,

Great Work! That looks awesome.  Love the way the the retro look blends in with the fine woodworking.  My build is at just the right place to add something like this.  I thought I’d add some lighting up on the Pod itself for better road safety but hadn’t imagined anything as beautiful as that. I’d love to know a little more about how you approached constructing the fairings.   Did you turn them on a lathe? Did you laminate the plywoods (birch ply?) with a hollow center for wiring?  and how did you get those beautiful thin bowl-like thin edges? I’ve done a fair amount of woodworking so I can really appreciate skilled workmanship when I see it.

Thanks for sharing!

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

I love the retro touch! Those shapes work so well with the campers profile. Are those Cadillac lights multi function? if not you will still need to have a plan for turn signal lights as well as front/side marker lights. I can’t wait to see your masterpiece finalized.

stretchMike
    Participant

Just noticed these replies. Yes lights are multi-function. JimBuilt: light fairings were laminated from leftover 3/4 inch Okuome ply from underfloor storage. I shaped them by hand with planes, rasps etc using templates I had drawn up. Then 3 1/4 hole saw to cut out recess to accept light base. After attaching to sides drilled for wiring.

jpcamper
    Participant

the tail lights are great going to make a set for mine do you have any more picture when building them

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.