Keeping galley contents in place during transit

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Keeping galley contents in place during transit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

Hi,

After finishing my TD and enjoyig a few trips I have found that leaving practically anything in the galley area during transit results in it never being in the same place when I arrive, in fact things are generally on the galley flat gathered in one corner!

I wondered if anybody has come up with any ideas on how to retain crockery and other bits and bobs in place during the journey? Any tips gratefully received.

I have had success in controlling the cooking stove by attaching rubber suckers to the underside which hold it extremely firmly and work really well – can’t do this with every knife and fork though!

Thanks,
    Andrew

Helibuff
    Participant

Try some Velcro  😀

PatandRay
    Participant

We made what I call a “Galley Girdle”.  Basically it is a rectangle of girdle material (spandex would work and be cooler). I sewed a casing around the edge and pulled shock cord through it.

We put D-ring anchors on the bulkhead and on the sidewalls. Using s-biners (carabiners) we hook the the galley girdle to the anchor.

The stretch made it very practical. The amount of stuff behind the galley girdle really did not matter because the stretch if the material compensated.  We did 13,000 miles this year and it FREAKIN’ WORKED!

western_flyer
    Participant

I fashioned some black netting mesh and Dot fasteners, which seem to hold everything in place.

The SS spice tins to the left are held in place with magnets and purchased from Amazon. (Be sure and read the reviews as some have much better magnets than other offering.) The magnetic trays are attached to the surface with sticky-back Velcro.

The side counter to the right and a roll up camp table will soon be held in place with nylon straps and footman loops on the galley flat while transporting.

Andrew
    Participant

Thanks PatandRay and Western Flyer – those suggestions sound like really good ideas and are clearly working well for you. I like the mod for the sauce bottles too Western Flyer – wish I’d seen that before I constructed the galley module!

Wester Flyer – your canopy looks really interesting and after a couple of rainy trips I’ve been thinking about ways to provide more cover at the back. Have you used sleeves over the galley lid pistons to prevent closing? Could you possibly share any pictures and details about the cover? It looks really smart and it would be great to learn from your experiences.

Thanks again for your tips.

western_flyer
    Participant

Andrew, this is a work in progress. I took it on the road last weekend for the first time literally an hour after attaching the last fastener. It works pretty well but needs some (quite a few) changes. The plan is to enclose the back and sides and maybe add some sort of screen room/dining space.

Yes I lock the struts open with 1 inch diameter sections of aluminum tubing. I want something to easy and quick to set up not needing poles, guylines and stakes.

As a side not I found the 20 lb OME struts were not up to the winter chill of the northwest. I switch them out for 30 lb struts but they are not strong enough to support the cantilever weight of the canopy.

When I get it tweaked enough I’ll post some pics and descriptions.

PatandRay
    Participant

Andrew, how are you attaching the canopy to the teardrop? What fabric are you using?

Andrew
    Participant

Hi PatandRay,

It is Western Flyer who has created that rather impressive canopy, not me – I wish I had! Looking forward to seeing more detail when he has refined it further.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.