interior liner

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rsbrownmd
    Participant

I noticed that there is no liner for the back wall under the galley. Is there a reason that this wall needs to stay uncovered? If not, can it be covered with Costco foam tiles or some type of carpeting? It seems that some people have had trouble figuring out exactly which pieces of the liner go where. It would be a simple fix if Chesapeake Light Craft supplied a one page handout with an outline of the different shapes describing exactly where they go.

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

No reason to leave this area uncovered, not sure why their kit doesn’t cover it. I would get 3/4″ closed cell foam to match the rest of the CLC headliner kit you have. Also page 380 of the build manual has the headliner parts labeled.

faithie999
    Participant

the 1/2″ foam floor tiles from Costco will work just fine.

faithie999
    Participant

editorial comment–the headliner kit is the weakest part of the entire CLC offering.  hard to fit, the surface scuffs easily, and I find (as have others)  for some unexplainable reason the tiles shrink over time.  I now have about 1/8-1/4 inch gaps between each segment.

Boardwalk
    Participant

A few things I would do different:

1. Leak test before the panels are glued in.  I am tracing two leaks and I am kicking myself for not testing BEFORE adding the foam.
    2. Paint the interior shell with black paint, wherever the foam seams meet.  Makes the gaps less noticeable.
    madebymike60
    Participant

The ‘Norsk reversible foam flooring’ from Costco has just enough material to cover the floor of the camper plus the transom/quarter panel areas. You’ll have to piece together enough for the back but it works. The flooring is blue on one side and black on the other so what’s in the picture is from one package. There was still enough to cover the quarter panels, I just hadn’t done it yet. The black on the far right is kit insulation covered with black outdoor fabric.

jettaMan
    Participant

As regards covering the under-galley surfaces, there are a couple of reasons why this may not be necessary.

For one, the galley itself is a sort of insulating layer, particularly against the deep radiative cooling you get on clear dewy nights that drops the temperature of surfaces exposed to the sky below dewpoint and creates condensation. The galley floor and the galley contents should  be a sort of buffer with a temperature about halfway between that of the inside and outside.

Also, the condensation you get inside the camper is the moisture that you’re breathing out. When you have the overhead exhaust fan  pulling outside air from the rear vents forward, your stale air goes straight of the fan and doesn’t reach the footspace under the galley.

madebymike60
    Participant

FYI about the Costco flooring coverage. I bought ‘one’ online where it comes as a two-pack (48 square feet) which will be enough for what I said above. I saw it for the first time in a store and it’s sold in single packs – 24 square feet – so you would need two. Also, online it was blue/black or red/black and in the store I was in it was grey/black.

wayne3676
    Participant

I used cork

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.