Insurance

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jctownsley
    Participant

Anybody insure their camper? I use geico for auto insurance and they won’t cover a custom built trailer.

catcamper
    Participant

You might be able to add it individually under a home owners policy? Just an idea!

jctownsley
    Participant

Sorry for the delayed response. Been out enjoying the camper in Glacier, Jasper and Banff! Unfortunately we live on a boat and don’t have homeowners’ insurance! Oh well. Made it on our 2,800 mile trip without any damage to the camper. So the insurance problem can wait a few weeks.

rovineye
    Participant

I added insurance today, collision and comprehensive thru Hartford. $500 deductible, $52 annual premium increase to the auto policy. They used $13k valuation that I gave them, but as with all losses I would need to prove replacement/repair cost. That would be the trailer, kit, parts, and someone else building it.

faithie999
    Participant

I had the same experience as rovineye, except with a different carrier.  state laws and insurance carrier requirements might vary, but my agent asked for the VIN number of the trailer, and then I provided the replacement value that I wanted to insure against.

rae_iii
    Participant

Hmm, what insurance company did you use? I’ve called Farmers, Nationwide, Pemco, Geico, and Progressive, and none of them will insure anything custom-built. My agent even called a speciality insurance company (I think Symetra?) and they wouldn’t either. I did try Hartford, but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately 🙂 ) I am not of the right age for AARP.

From my understanding, homeowner’s/renter’s insurance only covers it while at your home, not while on the road. Of course I may be wrong.

Anyone have any advice on how to get this thing insured? It was a lot of effort to build, and I’m real hesitant to take it out without insurance.

apkley
    Participant

I was able to cover it by claiming it as an extension of my existing auto policy, paying for its own separate collision and comprehensive (I have USAA).  Only costs a few extra dollars/mo.  I had to register the trailer VIN as part of the transaction.  I was able to bargain that it is more valuable personal property rather than a traditional RV/Motorhome.  My renter’s policy covers any other camp gear I might have with it.

I added up all the mail-order stuff and rounded to $5,000 for cushion.  Regardless of how much we adore our camper, you likely won’t be able to claim any more than what you paid for the trailer, kit, lights, battery, etc. Good luck trying to add value by claiming all the ancillary cost in consumable epoxy resin, brushes, sandpaper and all the “sweat equity” labor cost!

Be forewarned – Insurance companies have not caught up to the teardrop movement.  I looked into Geico, Progressive, and even a site called RVInsurance.  They all scratch their heads when you tell them CLC is the manufacturer.  Not many traditional insurance companies will cover it because of the “homemade” aspect – they confuse it with a TinyHouse and probably imagine frayed wires and makeshift plumping squatting on land you don’t own*.  If you claim it as anything similar to a traditional pop-up or travel trailer, expect to pay exorbitant rates – I was quoted as high as $40/mo – that are completely unnecessary for a teardrop.

*Personally I’m a fan of TH and modest living and know this isn’t true for most of that community, but that is the real perception out there…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by apkley.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.