Install cam latch for galley?

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Install cam latch for galley?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    canadianhoser
    Participant

I’m not particularly enamoured with the galley latch.  Has anyone installed a cam latch on the galley hatch instead of the hasp provided with the kit?  I’m looking at something like the following:

Any special tricks for the latch receiver due to the geometry of the hatch?

glcmranger
    Participant

Yes.  I installed 2 CAM Latches.  Go back in this forum and search on “Dan’s Build” – maybe on page # 9 or 10?  I followed his procedure – it worked brilliantly! I used this SOUTHCO Part:  SOUTHCO T-Handle Style Cam Latch (92-21-532).  Amazon doesn’t have them in stock right now,,,, so I googled another company.  I LOVE these latches….  I hope this helps.

canadianhoser
    Participant

Thanks.  Does your cam latch against the galley lip or did you build up something to latch against?  Any issues of wear with the latch against the surface?  I’m thinking of using the galley lip, but adding a metal strike plate at the wear point to eliminate any potential damage.

glcmranger
    Participant

I just sized it against the lid.  However, I might add a strike plate later……. its very easy to adjust the CAM latch to accommodate the strike plate or add more pressure once the gasket starts to settle in.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.