How many quarts of varnish for the camper?

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum How many quarts of varnish for the camper?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wudboatVT
    Participant

How many quarts of Schooner varnish should I plan to purchase to finish the camper?

glcmranger
    Participant

I would buy 5 quarts….. that’s based on 6 coats applied on the entire Teardrop.  Extra could be used as touchup.

wudboatVT
    Participant

Okay, thanks. So it’s essentially a quart per coat on the camper – maybe a touch less. Appreciate it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by wudboatVT.
    canadianhoser
    Participant

I’ve put 4 coats on the exterior so far and have probably used a quart in the process.  I bought 4 quarts and had about 1/2 from a previous project total to use up for the interior and exterior.  I just opened up my 3rd quart and have the ICC and tongue-box to complete.

LSaupe
    Participant

Quick question, why would varnish be preferred over say clear-coat paint (DuPont or similar) system?

Anonymous
    Inactive

LSaupe,

My understanding is the final coats are what provide the visual finish.  I.e. you could use flat polyurethane for 3 coats but if your final coat is high gloss, you will have a high gloss finish.  Similarly, your final coat provides your UV protection.  Traditionally Spar Varnish (polyurethane) has a high quantity of UV blockers.

Did that make sense?

Andrew

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.