How many coats of epoxy?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    blue70beetle
    Participant

The build manual says three coats on the outside; I have three coats and have some fiberglass cloth grain that appears to be visible so I’m going with at least one more coat.

I built the storage box first and I know I went too thick in a lot of areas because I had a lot of trouble with runs. I’m trying to avoid that as much as possible on the camper, so I’m doing thinner coats. Does this result in a rough finish, or will even thin coats tend to level themselves? In other words, should I keep adding layers until it’s smooth, or should I just accept that it’s going to take some sanding to make it smooth?

Trying to add a pic for reference and it’s not working so well…

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by blue70beetle.
    ArtisticAdam
    Participant

The first epoxy coat was the heaviest because you need to fully saturate the fiberglass cloth. After that, I did 3 coats with an epoxy approved foam roller. You will need to sand  no matter what, drips/runs are easy to sand out. I had some areas that seemed shallow so I spot filled a few of those areas after initial sanding (1-2 coats more).

stretchMike
    Participant

I also found that 4 coats (thin) necessary to get good coverage. You will want to eliminate most signs of the glass weave before sanding.

Tom B Texas
    Participant

I did 5 thin coats with Water Based Varnish. Could do more but looks quite nice. Sanding will make you crazy if you lack patience. Good Luck

blue70beetle
    Participant

Water based varnish…I think you’re a few steps ahead of me. I’m trying to be sure I get the epoxy thick enough. Varnish is still down the road for me, at the end of the build.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.