how important is the 2" fiberglass overlap on the top of the TD?

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum how important is the 2" fiberglass overlap on the top of the TD?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    faithie999
    Participant

I fiberglassed the top (2 layers) the other day, then yesterday I fiberglassed one side.  helper #1 helped me drape the glass and we used small pieces of tape on the top to maintain the 2″ overlap.  helper #2 arrived some time later, after #1 and I had started epoxying the glass.  when #2 arrived I switched to mixing small batches of epoxy, and only realized after it was too late that there are two places (one well behind and one well forward of where the roof racks would be installed) where the fiberglass drooped and the overlap is only about 1″ for a distance of 6-8 inches.  I think the drooping occurred when #1 and #2 helpers worked to make sure there were no creases on the side and pulled the cloth tight.

I understand the importance of the overlap (3rd layer)is to provide strength for mounting roof racks.  since the 1″ overlap areas are outside where I would mount the racks does it matter? If so, I can add a half-oval patch of glass to get back to an even 2″ along the whole length.

thanks

ken

Bob D.
    Participant

You’re probably just fine the way it is now.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.