High Speed Tires

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    smithn00
    Participant

I have a Northern Tools 4×8 aluminum trailer.  The tires that came with the trailer are rated for only 45 mph.  My belief is that nobody goes that slow.

Has anyone had problems going  Interstate speeds with these or similar tires.?

western_flyer
    Participant
    RCRICH
    Participant

Is the tire the only issue or is it the hub and bearings that cant take the high speed.  I need to get a trailer soon and the trailex is alot of money.

faithie999
    Participant

I also have the NT aluminum trailer, which in my case came with 12″ wheels.  I didn’t want to be one of the dead trailers at the side of the road with burned-out bearings, so I bought a set of what NT calls “high-speed” hubs, and got a pair of 15″ wheels/tires.  I had already planned to get a pair of fenders that would accommodate the larger tires, but when I tried to mount the 15’s I found that the tires rubbed the frame of the trailer (no good deed goes unpunished).  so I bought a pair of 1 1/4″ spacers which bolted to the hubs, and in turn mounted the wheels onto the spacers.

smithn00
    Participant

I asked NT what the speed rating of the High Speed Hub was.  They replied that hubs were not rated, only tires were rated for speed.  I asked back “Then why are they called High Speed Hubs.”  They have not replied to that yet.

Cabreraw
    Participant

Did they ever reply?

wayne3676
    Participant

I put on the high speed hubs and ran them at 70 mph. changed the tires to radial

tal
    Participant

I traveled from Arkansas to Michigan. Hubs became hot and had to slow to 60. NT trailer. Had a local shop replace the axle for a heavier one, etires 80 mph tires and had new fenders built. Problem solved.

Carl K
    Participant

I’ve always been told to clean and repack the bearings with good high temperature wheel bearing grease.. The grease that’s in there when you buy the trailer is not high temperature grease.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.