Hidden electrics

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    RowingBoatmanSteve
    Participant

I was keen to keep camper simple and uncluttered, with a dash of “old school” to complement the wood interior… and because I repurposed the battery/electrics compartment in the galley to use as a pass-through for food and drinks, an alternative was needed to site the electrics…

RowingBoatmanSteve
    Participant

So I chose to conceal the wiring, fuses and busbars behind the galley module, while still providing access to the isolating switch and fuses…

RowingBoatmanSteve
    Participant

I also added LED strip lighting to some of the openings in the galley module (eg on left of photo)…

RowingBoatmanSteve
    Participant

Adding labels will help to make sense of the wiring design for any future upgrades…

RowingBoatmanSteve
    Participant

This photo shows the galley module being fitted over the completed electrics, hiding it from view. Fuses are accessed by removing the drawer (upper right side), and the battery isolation switch is easily operated through the lower right side opening. A 25 Ah LiFePO4 battery is situated in the ICC below the camper shell.

RowingBoatmanSteve
    Participant

The completed galley space with no electrics visible, apart from a cloth covered wire running up to power a LED strip light in the hatch lid overhead.

Sandman408
    Participant

I love this and your wiring skills are top notch!

RowingBoatmanSteve
    Participant

Thanks Sandman – the teardrop build was a great excuse to learn something new! I used marine grade components throughout to keep future maintenance to a minimum – I guess only time will tell if the (small) additional cost pays off…

madebymike60
    Participant

This could be about any of your recent posts so first of all, nice craftsmanship and/or design work on several ideas. I’m sure you look at it now and appreciate the time and effort you put into doing things as well as you did. My camper is complete (and I like it a lot) but if it was still in progress, I would strongly consider using some of your ideas – like the galley map for instance, it’s a very cool addition. Second, maybe you’ve noticed also that this forum is not nearly as active as it was even a year or so ago. The search function no longer seems to work and new posts are often weeks apart…not counting your recent ones, of course. Anyway, if you’re on Facebook, I’m sure there are current builders who would love to see things you’ve done. I even directed someone there to your way of holding up the galley hatch when they were looking for a different idea. Just something to consider.

RowingBoatmanSteve
    Participant

Mike – many thanks for your generous compliments. Yes, it really was worth the time invested in the build and the sense of satisfaction each time we use it. You are absolutely right about the quiet forum – in fact that’s what prompted me to start contributing recently with the hope that it might inspire current/future teardrop builders. There used to be regular contributions and ideas flowing but something changed with the format of the site some time back, and yes, the search function doesn’t work. I remember pouring over the posts before I committed to my build, keeping notes and sketches in anticipation! So many good ideas out there (like your “drawers under the galley flat idea”, and your bike mount on the trailer…)!

I’m not on Facebook, but will keep chipping away with snippets on this forum as time permits. Maybe I’ll drop an email to John Harris and his team to see if they are aware of the search function issue…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.