Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Hatch Sides Bowing Outwards

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #3608
    Cudovich
    Participant

    I am in the midst of varnish work, but as I check sizes I noticed the sides of the camper have bowed out (on both sides) and the hatch does not line up on either side.

    Aesthetically I am concerned, but also this would seem like a water issue as well.

    Anyone else had this problem? Any idea how to tweak, adjust or fix? The sides extend outwards about 1/4 to 1/2″ on both sides.  Which is of course weird because the hatch was cut off the sides…

    Thanks.

    -jc

    Sides

     

    #3610
    Daniel
    Participant

    I have the same problem, so I added some clasps on each side. Now the galley hatch is closed in three points, one on each side.

    #3611
    Cudovich
    Participant

    Ah interesting.  Did your’s leak before you did this?

    Do you have a link for those clasps?

    Thanks so much for your help!

    #3624
    Daniel
    Participant

    I have not tried the leak test before the clasps because it was obvious that it will leak.

    Here is what I used

     

    #3909
    marieokay
    Participant

    Hi Daniel, I have an inherited teardrop with the same problem and thought this looked like an elegant solution for mine too. I wasn’t involved in the build at all, so maybe this is a dumb question, but did you use the drill-fill-drill method even with the holes so close together?

    #3913
    Daniel
    Participant

    @marieokay – no, I have not uset the drill-fill-drill method. I just smeared some clearcoat inside the holes.

    #3935
    Deepwoods
    Participant

    Trust your galley gutters.  That should give you some peace of mind.  By way of comparison, look at the gap on any hatchback car; it’s bigger than what you’re showing.

    #3938
    Cudovich
    Participant

    Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

    Quick review…I posted this once I had the hatch mounted, but with no testing.  I was really nervous that this looked like it was going to leak bad….

    After finishing and using (including some rain) it stays dry.  It doesn’t look totally right, since the gap is pretty big.  But now that I see how it all works, its fine.  I would not add the clasps (to mine) since it works and doesn’t leak.

    Thanks again for the thoughts …this forum is really valuable  for getting a sense of if things are okay, or are going to be an issue.

    -jc

     

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.