Hatch Hasp / Clasp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    apkley
    Participant

We were too far along in our build to add the extra block of wood supporting the hatch hasp as specified in the technical bulletin (the block also detracted from the look of the natural grain on our transom).  Naturally, we didn’t want to try to bend the hasp as outlined in the manual.  So we found this little piece of hardware at Lowe’s…  fits perfectly, almost like it was designed for it.  It does add a little weight to the hatch, but not enough to significantly affect the function of the pistons.  It is a Gatehouse brand (even though it says National Hardware) and sells for about $8.  Maybe CLC can offer these instead of the (un)bendable hasps?

Hasp hardware

directions

mpilone
    Participant

Thanks for the idea. I found this hasp at Home Depot and picked it up. After testing it with my hatch I’m concerned it is a little heavy. It seems to pull the hatch down a few inches. One option would be to reverse the install so the loop is on the hatch. Have you had any weight issues? Still happy with the setup?

-mike

apkley
    Participant

Mike, we have noticed a little bit of extra weight caused by the clasp on the hatch, but nothing that is really inconvenient.  The pistons may not go all the way up on their own, but with a hand assist they hold upright just fine.  Still happy with this solution.

apkley
    Participant

Forgot to mention: the reason we didn’t reverse it was due to the lock placement.  Figured it would flop around too much on bumpy roads and bang against the hatch.  We’ve padded the lock with extra door foam, but at least on the bottom it is able to hang free.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.