Gauged the bulkhead cutting out the galley hatch

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Gauged the bulkhead cutting out the galley hatch

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    canadianhoser
    Participant

If you’re using a jigsaw to cut out the galley hatch, beware that the bulkhead is near enough to the cut to be affected by the jigsaw if you run it flush with the surface.  If I were to do it again, I’d set the angle on my jigsaw to ensure it’s cutting perpendicular to the floor and not to the camper shell.

I’m going to try an epoxy fill to see if I can get a close enough match to the wood.  It’s possible that the gutter may hide this defect, but I won’t know until I get that installed.

Has anyone figured out an epoxy/wood flour/cell-o-fill ratio to get the closest match to the Okume?

Gash in bulkhead

rovineye
    Participant

Maybe cutting thin okume strips with a beveled edge, and gluing them over the scar would look better than a wood filler patch.

canadianhoser
    Participant

That’s my plan if I cannot get a close enough match.  I already ordered a solid piece of Okume for that purpose as well as some galley accessories.

wirewiggler
    Participant

You could also go with some paper backed veneer. The stuff is great to work with cuts with scissors and you could cut a nice design into it to make it look like you meant to do it, ( I will never tell).

Bill

canadianhoser
    Participant

The gutter ended up hiding a lot of it, but I added a trim strip to cover the rest and thought it turned out well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.