Reinforcing the Galley Hatch

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Reinforcing the Galley Hatch

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tpkrause86
    Participant

This was my take on reinforcing the galley hatch to prevent it from warping in the sun. I added a stiffner and an additional layer of fiberglass. I plan to add an additional layer of fiberglass on inside of the the doors as well before they are cut out.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by tpkrause86.
    tpkrause86
    Participant

Tom B Texas
    Participant

I am not aware of warping in sun but they do take a different shape when held open for long periods of time. It is slight but noticable when you first close it. Keep it closed when not in use.

MAke sure your stiffener does not impede your Galley. When all done’ it makes a snug fit between Galley and Hatch. Best of luck and enjoy the build.

jb
    Participant

@tpkrause86 I’m at the stage where I’m planning on adding a second hatch stiffener like you did. I planned on putting it pretty much in the same position as you did. Has this worked well for you? Anything you’d do different?

wayne3676
    Participant

This is the correct time go add  glass and the stiffener before it is cut out.  I added glass to the doors before they were cut out and it worked out well. Putting a stiffener after hatch is cut out is a pain

wayne3676
    Participant

you might want to add some glass on the joints of the stiffener. mine opened up when I pressed down.

jb
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for the tips about the hatch stiffener. I added one and added glass above and below as an extra measure. I made mine out of 1/4″ plywood which I sheathed in glass and epoxy then cut out slots to hang things from (lights, dishrags, etc.). I doubled up the plywood on the back side at the chine where panel 1 meets 2 but I don’t have a pic of that handy at the moment.

Supplemental hatch stiffener

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by jb.
    madebymike60
    Participant

I like jb’s idea and did something similar. I made another shelf for inside the cabin from mahogany and used the kit shelf for the galley hatch stiffener. I cut it to length, used a compass to get the bottom shape correct and simply cut away different amounts of each end until I liked the look of it. I’ll probably add holes later when I have an idea of what might hang or be attached there. The impact driver was my way of holding it in place until the epoxy set up. I wouldn’t really recommend it but it worked for me. I also put a layer of fiberglass on the hatch above the stiffener. Hopefully the hatch will keep its shape when cut out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.