Galley Floor Failure

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    friz
    Participant

Just a heads up. I had my galley loaded to about the same weight as my 100 AH battery so I thought I was safe. Since the demo has the battery supported by the same shelf. I plan to lay a fiberglass tape in that seam after the initial repair. All of the separation occurred in the ply and not the epoxy. The joints are definitely stronger then the ply.

JakeM
    Participant

Wow that’s surprising to me.  Was all your load concentrated in one area?  It looks like the floor wanted to flex, but the stiffener wasn’t able to, so they just separated.  I think the galley flat would be very strong with distributed loads.

friz
    Participant

5 gallons of water over a 1 sq ft area. No more concentrated weight then a battery, I would assume. My battery is mounted under the trailer so I used it’s weight as the standard for loading the galley.

stevie
    Participant

I’d offer that installing the galley unit reinforces the galley floor.  This may be a problem for those who don’t opt for it. I haven’t had any problems, though I would’ve reinforced that area with a piece of fiberglass had I known.  

Five gallons of water is a bit over 40 lbs. Seems like the galley floor could easily handle that w/o additional reinforcement.  Perhaps you had the bad luck of receiving an inferior piece of plywood.

restonthewind
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your misfortune. It has convinced me not to build the removable galley flat, attached with lift off hinges, described in my thread. I’ll use the wood to build a small table or two instead.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.