Galley Flat fitment problem

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Galley Flat fitment problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Greenleaf
    Participant

Hello- my wife and I are at the point of fitting the Galley Flat in place.  but it doesn’t.  We have already glued the stiffeners onto the flat.  The finished piece just will not slide into position.  We place either end into the widest point, along the taped joint but the opposite side will not slide down.  It wedges against the side of the camper about 10-15 CM from the top of the camper frame.  The angle looks like there is still too much width for a little “persuasion” to get into place without damaging the flat itself or the side of the shell.  Did anyone else experience this?  Any thoughts on shaving the side or sides down?  But doing that it looks like I would have to remove about 2 CM or more for it to fit (just an estimate there…) and then it may be too narrow.  All of the other angles for the frame and bulk head look correct.  We even removed a couple of the staples to the frame to see if that was the issue (it wasn’t).

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions

JakeM
    Participant

For our teardrop, before we tried to lay it in place we sanded the corners where it would have interfered with our bulkhead fillet.  I remember it being a tight fit and tricky to find the right angles, but it did fit without major adjustment!  Make sure to try every conceivable angle before you think about cutting it too short!

Jake

Greenleaf
    Participant

UPDATE: well, this caused a lot of stressful thinking.  we just weren’t sure we could get it in without causing alignment issues down the road.  Even using a LFH was daunting (little frikin’ hammer).  It wasn’t the corners that were the issue, it was the sides where the side members are- along the copper staples.  I sharpened up my box plane and set it as low is I could.  We eased just a bit off of each side.  I had drilled several holes in the stiffeners to hang a net or such in the foot compartment at a later date.  We attached some ropes to the stiffeners through those holes and then leveraged the flat into place and BANG! it dropped right in to place.  🙂

JakeM
    Participant

Good! Glad it worked out.  I like the idea of hanging a net or something like that from the galley flat stiffeners, I may have to borrow that idea!  I think organized storage space is one of the downsides of this otherwise great design.

cpieper
    Participant

I had the same issue… I took a good amount of material off the sides of the galley flat, but still had significant interference. I ultimately wedged it in using my “heavy hands…” With the unit being upside down, I didn’t notice until I flipped it right side up that I opened one of the side seams when I forced the flat in place. Since by this time, all my expoxy fillets had cured, my heavy handed mistake resulted in a very unpleasant experience with a sawzall… After cutting a wedge out of the installed flat and epoxy fillet, I was able to glue things back together (a testimony to the forgiveness of the stitch and glue technique), but the experience could have been avoided by taking extra time to achieve a slip fit of the galley flat before installing. This was my biggest opps of the entire project (so far… my unit is built, but not varnished).

tomtnt
    Participant

i wonder if they’ve fixed this in the latest batches of kits…

dragonflyda
    Participant

galley flat lowered and placed with strap

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by dragonflyda.
    dragonflyda
    Participant

galley flat lowered and placed with strap

dragonflyda
    Participant

We had a terrible time getting the flat into the galley space. Finally we tried using tie-down strap to lower and place it. With 3 people it finally worked. AND we can get it out again in order to put on the stiffeners.

Good luck.

friz
    Participant

I just shaved enough off until I could get it in. Thickened epoxy filled the gap.

Eric
    Participant

Mine fit without any hammer blows, but it was very tight.  I dropped one side down first and temporarily pulled some copper stitches.  For storage I built a shelf into the interior of my transom, about half way between floor and galley flat, it is suspended from the outer two galley flat stiffeners so it does not obstruct the mushroom vents. The shelf stiffened the transom substantially. I’d send a picture if anyone gives me their email address (I can’t figure out how to post pictures on this site).

szerby
    Participant

This was tricky, and i had to shave about a 1/4″ off the back to get it to slip in.  Now I am stuck and finding the temporary spacer (galley hatch shim) to hold the galley flat while epoxying in place.  The manual says the kit has a 9mm plywood, 1/2″ wide strip.    The way the manual shows it the galley lid is also wide wider than i have.   I have a small solid piece of chamfered wood that I am not sure where that goes.  It this a change?

caveprod
    Participant

Getting the galley flat in should have been a problem for everyone in my view. getting the copper wire through the sides seems impossible to me, although if people can lift the flat up a bit maybe they can poke the wire through somehow. for now it is impossible to get the flat in place, or even close to. (dare I tempt to bend the plywood to get it in?) I intend to shave a bit. probably mark an eight of an inch around the sides so I can gauge how much I have taken off. I didnt get my kit from CLC US  directly so maybe that chamfered piece of wood is the temp spacer.. If it is spare, treat it as such.

faithie999
    Participant

if the chamfered piece of wood you referred to is made of hardwood, not plywood, it is probably the stiffener that goes on the inside forward edge of the galley hatch, once you cut it loose from the cabin.  read ahead in the manual to confirm that is the piece that you are looking at.

caveprod
    Participant

chamfered piece of wood as per the “drip catch” page 213-216? seems like a good call Faithie999. Did you have any insights into successfully getting the galley flat in BTW?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.