Fixing your doors – warpage

Welcome to TeardropForum.com Forums Teardrop Builders’ Forum Fixing your doors – warpage

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    canadianhoser
    Participant

When performing the leak test on my teardrop, I found that I had some water intrusion around the doors.  My doors are slightly bowed out at the mid-point of each panel, so they do not engage with the weather stripping properly.  Since the bowing is not at the intersection of the two panels, adjusting the tensioning strap does not resolve this.

How have others resolved this issue.  I’ll post the pictures in a follow-up, since my original post that included the pictures seems to be in some sort of quarantine.

canadianhoser
    Participant

light leaking through

canadianhoser
    Participant

door warp

CWStevens
    Participant

I believe the foam weatherstripping is supposed to be applied to the perimeter of the door, not the door-frame.  Then, (where you currently have weatherstripping) the water travels around the door and down to the bottom like a gutter.  Weatherstripping in the top and bottom gutters may be preventing your door from closing properly in the mid-section.

Weatherstripping on door

Chris

canadianhoser
    Participant

I was not a fan of the weatherstripping provided in the kit, so I ordered and installed D-shaped weatherstripping which filled in the channel on the chassis itself, making for a much cleaner looking installation.  Only one door has this issue, with the other one having a good seal and no leakage.

canadianhoser
    Participant

weatherstripping in routed channel

canadianhoser
    Participant

Only the door bows out.  The level against the exterior of the trailer is flat against the surface.

wudboatVT
    Participant

@canadianhoser

Do you have a link to the D shaped weatherstripping you used? I like the look. I’m also not a huge fan of what they provide in the kit…that said, it certainly has lasted on my two CLC kayaks.

John

canadianhoser
    Participant

Look on Amazon for Trim-Lok D-Shaped Rubber Seal.  I tried using the original weatherstripping first, but it did not stick well, and in places would stick out from the door seam as well.

The rubber seal also worked well for sealing up my mushroom vents.  I had leaks with them until I replaced the weather stripping with the rubber seal.

wudboatVT
    Participant

Hey thanks!

For the good of the forum here’s the link to what I think you’re using. I’ll definitely give it a try.

canadianhoser
    Participant

I installed the .437 inch height; .375 inch width version of this trim and it fit the channel perfectly.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.