Door Weather Striping

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    smithn00
    Participant

I find the weather striping supplied with the kit to be way too thick.  Anybody else agree?

rovineye
    Participant

I thought it was at first but it compresses over time.

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

It was way too thick on both dimensions for me, so much so that I could not close the doors. I changed the design and bought some Trim-Lok D-Shaped Rubber Seal. Instead of lining the door with it, I put it into the channel on the door sill.

This option looks more professional and the gasket is less likely to be damaged over time. I do however have a leak to track down on one side, likely due to the door strap not being tight enough or the fact that I only temporarily installed the gasket just using its adhesive backing. I bet if I used marine sealant and tighten up the strap that should solve my issue.

Tom B Texas
    Participant

The Strip that gets attached with SuperGlue and a “Rubber Mallet” worked well once I figured out that firm touch with rubber mallet was acceptable. There are “Spring Fingers” inside the channel and are likely meant for thinner edges.

As for the Foam Tape, I thought the firmness was just fine. I attached it before all the varnishing was done (touch ups mostly) but managed to get some Varnish on the Foam Gasket. I think I will replace it once everything is complete. This will look better and at $3.50/roll at Lowes, I can waste a little if needed or downsize slightly to fit around doors more evenly.

Hope this helps.

Tom B Texas
    Participant

Adam, I like your stain color… what did you use?

ArtisticAdam
    Participant

I used  Behlen pre-stain conditioner followed by Hickory colored Behlen Solar Lux NGR dye. The Dye process is a pain but it was well worth it in the end.

pwebster25
    Participant

I’m also finding that the 7/16″ Frost King foam tape supplied is too thick, making it really hard to close the doors.  I tried MD brand foam tape (also 7/16″) from Home Depot. Also too thick. ArtisticAdam, how’d you like the Trim-Lok D-Shaped Rubber Seal over time? Do you know what dimensions you used? Any other suggestions from others? Should I go to 5/16″ of Frost King? The MD brand from Home Depot is a little more dense.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.