Door Screens

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    apkley
    Participant

All, John Harris showed great foresight by adding the mushroom vents.  But we reasoned there may be nights we want to sleep with the doors open to take advantage of cooler temps (with no rain, of course!) AND keep the bugs out.

Enter door screens 🙂  We just finished an mounted our first prototype – planning to make another just like it for the other side.  The fabric is a mesh pattern from Joanne’s Fabric called “pet screen” (you can find it in some small collapsible pet carriers). The screen is thick and dark enough you still get some privacy.  It took about 1.5 yards for one door, cut to size with an extra 1-1.5″ circumference to fold back on itself to hold the fasteners.  A good crease is obtained by ironing the fold.

It is attached to the door sills by DIY snap fasteners (also Joanne’s, using 3/4″ wood screws from Lowe’s).  The fasteners also match the other camper hardware and so don’t detract from the overall aesthetics.  The screw placement is 3/4″ from the interior edge of the door sill to avoid screwing into the door’s rain gutter.

It may seem obvious, but the screens must be removed when the doors close (unless you build in enough slack to allow space for the interior door handle and it’s operation).  The pictured one is very taut.  The snap fasteners allow a rapid install/removal and the fabric is durable enough to roll/fold and stow.

Thoughts?

outside viewinside viewinside edgesnap fastener

StarMan
    Participant

I can not believe the timing on this.  My wife and I were working on the exact same thing.  I was pulling up some photos for her to see possible options.  Her thought was to mount somehow the netting on the outside.  I thought it better on the inside.  Your photos sealed the deal.  Inside wins.  we are going to try using Velcro instead of the snaps.

StarMan
    Participant

So off to the fabric store to get velcro.  Then I saw how easy the snaps are to install……..so, snaps it is.  This should come as a kit from CLC.

My wife sewed nylon edging on to allow the snap to have a place to grab.  We used standard tent grade netting.  When removed the whole screen fits in the palm of your hand!

faithie999
    Participant

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but yours is the second picture I’ve seen where a light is mounted in the hole in the door sill.  is that what the hole is for?  (stupid question, I know!)

thanks

rovineye
    Participant

faithie999,

Yes it is for a light. You will probably want to add a channel to get wire through tho. If you are not using it for a light, it is a fine place to store your yoyo.

StarMan
    Participant

My lights shown above are just battery (3 x AAA) LED pucks.  They say that I can get up to 60 hours with a set of batteries.  I just got a brick of rechargeables.  They have 4 colors and even a remote…….6 pack at Costco.

faithie999
    Participant

thanks!

fishcarver
    Participant

Well I hope you aren’t in a hurry to get out when Mother Nature calls at 2am.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.